Thyroid Disorders Community
Can the thyroid cause a change in hair color?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My mother is 71 years old and her hair has recently started turning from white back to her original color of auburn.  This is occuring in patches.  She also has borderline low thyroid, for which she was just prescribed replacement hormones.  Also, she had breast cancer, estrogen dependent, about 20 years ago.  Any thoughts on this?  Should we be worried about the change of hair color?  Thanks!
I would lean toward if she had chemo or radiation for the cancer, that may be why the change. If she didn't I am at a loss.
But her chemo was 20 years ago, and her hair is just now turning.  It's so weird.  So no low thyroid issues that you guys know of can cause this?  Thanks.
The hair color change related to thyroid per medicals is premature gray in hypos.

Hyper/Graves' I have heard people from other forum state their hair changing to a little more red or copper highlights. Mine changed with very fine copper strands in sun light. I have never read medicals to confirm this condition.

GL,

January is Thyroid Awareness Month, a month when various organizations put together informational efforts to help us all learn more about thyroid disease here in the U.S.

January is National Graves Disease Awareness Month
National Graves' Disease Awareness Week 1/7 thr 1/13

Thank you.
I vote Yes.  My hair color changes almost weekly...literally there's about 15 different colors in my hair (my husband asks me alllllll the time if I've dyed my hair).  My only explanation is thyroid hormone flucuation.  I don't ever dye my hair...FYI.
How funny.  My hair was completely gray by the time I had my son at 30.  The stress of my pregnancy is what I believe let me go into Graves'.  When my son was about 6 months old I was a brunette again.  Have always wondered what caused this to happen and never considered thyroid.
My hair turned from dark to patches of light brown and premature gray. Looks awful w/o coloring.
My mother's hair went from dirty blonde to dark brown after her 3rd child was born. It has to be hormonal.
Deplin (ingredient name L-methylfolate). My doctor prescribed this to me when I began experiencing dramatic hair loss with Hashimotos. It has stopped the hair from falling out! I missed one month, without realizing and wondered why I was losing hair again. As soon as I got back on it, within days, no more hair loss. Evening Primrose Oil capsules are also very beneficial.
I'm hypo and although my usual hair color is off black, I started graying prematurely at 13. However, my hair will turn to a dark reddish brown shade from time to time.
I'm leaning toward a hypothyroid diagnosis.  It's strange, I have strawberry blonde (red) hair and the under part in the back is light blonde.  It's split Irish/Swedish, heh.

I noticed when I was 7 in sunny California for about a year, and frequented the pool and beach, I could tan and freckle.  Now I'm always pale and lightly freckled.  Has anyone else lost their ability to tan?  Is it hormonal?  Any chance of tanning returning once I'm on thyroid medicine?
Do you take thyroid medication besides taking the Deplin?  I have been trying to find something to help my hair loss, but I have never heard of this medication.

I don't know about the thyroid but I do know that the pituitary gland releases hormones that activate the melanocytes to produce melanin in the skin. Melanin is what gives your skin coloring and a tan in the summer. Perhaps if your pituitary gland is not functioning correctly, it isn't releasing this hormone... but I would consult a doctor. I'm only a highschool anatomy class student.