Thyroid Disorders Community
Can thyroid cause high blood pressure
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can thyroid cause high blood pressure

Can high T3, T4 and low TSH cause high blood pressure? My thyroid was removed 20 years ago because of cancer. I have been taking Synthroid since then. In Nov. 2006 I had too high thyroid levels. I have been detected with high BP since Dec.2006. Could there be a relation?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
176557_tn?1222893911
From your test results, it looks like you might be hyperthyroid, which could be a cause of high blood pressure.  Or, your high blood pressure could be unrelated to your thyroid problems, or it could be a combination of both.  When I was diagnosed as Hyperthyroid (Graves) my blood pressure was higher than it should have been, among other symptoms.  I was treated with beta blockers initially while the anti-thyroid meds kicked in.  However, once  my thyroid levels were stabilized, my blood pressure continued to be high - even after a total thyroidectomy.  

Since high blood pressure runs in my family, I am not surprised I continue to have high BP evidently not related to my thyroid issues.  Medication and exercise have helped get it under control.

Please make sure to check with your doctor, you want to make sure to keep your blood pressure at a healthy level no matter the cause.  Good Luck.

Blank
hypo and hyper can both cause high bp.
Blank
158939_tn?1274918797
There can definitely be a correlation.  I have always had low BP but ended up on too high a dose of Synthroid following RAI and my BP skyrocketed to the point I ended up in the ER.  My TSH was 0.06.

Here's some good info about the effects of thyroid replacement on the body:
http://www.endocrineweb.com/hyper1.html
http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/thyroid/
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/thyroid101.htm
Blank
I  am a 65 year old woman. Never had any problems with my BP till I started taking 50 MCG Levothyroxine. Now I have to take 20 MG of Lisinopril. Can the thyroid medicine run my BP high? I have been to the ER. twice with very high BP.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...