Thyroid Disorders Community
Can thyroid flare up?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Can thyroid flare up?

Doctors checked my thyroid by taking blood tests and I was told my thyroid was fine.  Can your thyroid results be normal and then at other times can it flare up causing symptoms and a different reading?  Can changes in hormone levels be responsible for thyroid problems?
I asked the same questions to my uptake radiologist.  He shared, that the thyroid can work one minute, stop the next and work again, all in the same day.  So, yes.  

Thyroid disorder, is changes in hormone level, too high or too low, from the norm.  

Good luck to you !!    
Thanks for the reply.  My problems started when I began taking the birth control pill.  I would get sick every month and at the same time as my sickness it would seem that I would develop a short term allergy to foods that were reddish in color.  I would get a rash and itch on my hands, feet, or knee and then I would swell in that area.  When I went off the pill it gradually went away however when I get sick I still get the allergy once in a blue moon but not all the time.  My monthly colds and flus have gone away.  I do have what could be considered hypothyroid symptoms.  I have cold intolerance all the time (air conditioning is a pet pev),  I have muscle aches, slerred speach (once), weight gain, constipation, feel exausted, dry flaky skin, slow heart rate (49) and mood swings.  Because I would feel cold all the time I would drink tea with milk and sugar four times a day.  I have recently been told by my doctor that I have prediabetes.  This inturn caused me a lot of stomach problems including nausea, upset stomach and feeling dizzy.  I cut sugar out of my diet and after two days I was ill for one week with stomach issues and a head fever.  Right after the illness I had ketchup with my burger and I developed swelling on my foot.  My stomach was feeling better but now once again I was again dealing with the swelling.  I am trying to figure out if the swelling is related to the sugar intake or hormone levels.  I got the swelling while on the pill which could have been caused by hormones or sugar (placibos).  Any ideas on this?              
I have just been diagnosed w/ Graves Disease this week....My sister gave also has GD, and she gave me some very useful information......when she first started coming down w/  it she was told her blood work was normal.  Needless to say she still did not feel well at all.  Finally another doctor ordered a thyroid scan and only then did it show that something was wrong.  If I were you I would ask to have a scan done just in case.

Thanks for the advice.  I am finding that with everyday I eat a sugar free diet the more my symptoms seem to be none exsistant.  I got a compliment the other day from a friend who asked me if I had lost weight.  She had noticed my face looked swollen but that it now looked normal.  I was also noticing the same thing about my face earlier in the day as well as my stomach is also not swollen.  I find that I am now very regular and I no longer feel tired and lathargic.  I am really happy with my progress and I never thought sugar could effected my body the way it did and in so many ways.  My words use to be "sugar doesnt make you fat".  Boy was I wrong!  I am glad my doctor pin pointed it and now I can live a normal life again.