Thyroid Disorders Community
Can thyroid function occassionally after 13 years on meds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I was diagnosed 13 years ago with Hashimotos, nodules and a goiter.  Hypo levels were so bad then endo said he didn't know what kept my other organs from shutting down.  It was a long road to recovery and feeling good again.  I have basically been on .125 up to .175 mcg of synthroid for several years.  In January my TSH was 25 on .150 mcg.  I think part of that was because I would forget to take it on weekends.  Got in the habit of taking it before I left for work.  If I didn't go anywhere I forgot to take it.  Was kept on .150 and was supposed to have it rechecked in 2 months.  After 6 weeks I told them I thought needed to be rechecked.  TSH was 0.34.  Dosage was lowered to .137.  Also in January I had what I think was a bad stomach virus.  Diahrrea for 4 days.  Things have been down hill ever since.  Having a real tough time getting back on my feet.  Was put on Prevacid for reflux.  That seemed to make me more nervous & hasn't seemed to help my stomach that much.  Extreme hunger in the mornings but not hungry after a few bites.  Lost probably 10 lbs or more.  Was under alot of stress at work & began having panic attacks, hot flashes at night.  I asked my family doctor if my thyroid could decide to start functioning a little after being on synthroid that long.  He said it would be unusual because on that high of a dosage it usually stopped it from working.  I have noticed lately that at times I have a real hard time swallowing.  Feels like I have a lump in my throat.  Feel smothery.  Those symptoms were horrible when I was first diagnosed.  Have finally gotten an appointment with an endo this Friday.  I know this is long....sorry...but my question is has anyone who has Hashimotos had their thyroid spring back to life after being on meds that long.  If so, would it be advisable to have my thyroid removed with the throat sensations I am feeling?
I n my opinion yes it can just start working again, My mothers did after being on thyroxine for Hypothyroidism for 27 years, she then became very ill as back then you weren't tested every so often to keep an eye on your levels..BUT i dont believe she had Hashi just Hypo..I think if you get treated early enough with Hashi some ppl can come off the meds and their thyroid will function normally..The throat feeling could very well be a Hashi attack, i get this feeling when it decides to flare up again.Have you had anymore scans on your thyroid lately to see if it is also the goiter that is causing you problems with you throat? Good luck on Friday, see what these new tests show, it might just mean a change in dose of meds as well is needed again ..
Thanks for your response.  I haven't had any scans for a long time.  Plan on having them do the works tomorrow.  I was originally diagnosed with a goiter and some nodules so that could be the problem.  I had what I thought was a really bad stomach virus the last of January.  Had diarrhea for about 5 days.  Not able to take any liquids by mouth.  Have not gotten back on my feet since then.  I also think I have an ulcer.  Wondering if I didn't have a parasite.  Am on Prevacid for that.  Was nauseated every day all day.  I can at least eat now.  Mornings are horrible.  Don't have strength till the evenings.  I've lots 10 lbs or more.  I am also menopause age.  So the combination of thyroid, stomach problems and maybe menopause has thrown my world upside down.  My nerves are beyond shot.  I'm ready for them to check me out from head to toe even if it means admitting me to the hospital.  
One more question.  Could going from 25. to 0.34 from January to March maybe cause problems with the adrenal gland?  All of those tests have always seemed to be normal, but been a long time since I had any tests done on those.
I dont know much about the Adrenal gland but hopefully someone else will help you with that. I went from 144 to 2.12 on 100mcg..I do know they like to keep the tsh around 2 and under for hypo and Hashi..But really you need to be looking at what your t4s and t3s are these are what you need to have in a good range not so much the tsh.. Have the been looking at the ts as well..
This is what another member has said.....When they do the T3 and T4, make sure they do FREE T3 and FREE T4, not TOTALS, as the totals are a waste of time....This is what you need to ask as well to be done..