Thyroid Disorders Community
Can we get Oprah to do a real show on thyroid disease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I know this was awhile ago but I just read Oprah's article on her thyroid problems. I remember seeing her show and at the end feeling very unsatisfied because the show made thyroid disease seem easy to fix and related to menopause.

I've tried positive thinking and resting my way out. It doesn't work. Also, I spent over 10 years being diagnosed as clinically depressed when there was really something physically wrong with me. I really feel if it weren't for getting pregnant and finally being diagnosed, I would have died. After all that, my family members make fun of me for having thyroid problems. It's a joke to them. When did thyroid problems become funny to the general public?

I've been doing well for awhile but this week I'm feeling very moody and mad.
I'm with you.  I have a long list of people I'd like to punch because they have said that thyroid cancer isn't "real" cancer.

A lot of people tend to laugh at or not understand thyroid problems *at all*.  Someone needs to talk about it because I've met a lot of medical professionals (including an endocrinologist) who didn't get it at all.

Maybe we need to start a petition.  Hmmmm
no petition needed. I starting looking into this last week. MAry Shomon had an article on "letters to Oprah" regarding thyroid disease.  She is attempting to flood her emails with letters of people like us to get her to reconize the people miserable with it.

Oprah is a sub clinical hypothyroid individual. She probably has the best doctors all over the world treating her b/c of who she is. She respectfully has no clue what really is happening out there and definately has no idea all the symptoms of advanced hyperthyroid/hypothryroid and cancer. She also does not realize the shotty care that the common individual puts up with.

I need help though - I am not very computer savy and last time I tried to check it out - I got somewhat lost trying to get a letter in place.  If you or anyone would like to help and post how to move this together - please.

This I believe is MAry Shomans search for how to do it. This search is on about.com:Thyroid

"Letters to Oprah" Page | Oprah Awareness Campaign

If you find the simple way to get this sent - let me know.

I read somewhere else that Oprah said on a more recent show that she no longer has problems with her thyroid (not sure how that came about).  With that, she's probably not likely to be interested in doing anything more on thyroid.

Actually, I think Oprah was experiencing yet another symptom of an eating disorder.  That being: find something tangible wrong with me so I don't have to admit my eating has gotten out of control again; if that doesn't work out, dismiss it.  This is the topic she should be doing a show on.
I sent the show an email with my story and a link to this forum to show how many of us need better care and information. I personally don't think Oprah's thyroid problem is resolved, especially so quickly. I have no proof of course.

I'll send a copy to Mary Shomon as well. I've read her books and articles and I think she's fantastic!

Stella, just go to the Oprah website and find 'contact us'. There's a form to fill out that's the same as email.
Oprah's "cure" for her hypothyroidism was to spend a month at her country estate--blah--doing nothing but resting and eating very healthy foods prepared by a dietician and tada. . . she was HEALED!  Praise the Lord, glory hallelujah!  WHAT A JOKE!!!

This lady couldn't buy a clue with all her billions.  Some how I think she would have to become dealthly ill before it would be a real medical problem.

At this time she went "hypo" she had just gained 20 very obvious pounds and was on that big "this is the year to get healthy" kick.  So of course they had to explain it away or she would just be weak and full of it!
DLA: Thank you for that.  At least she didn't get on thyroid meds in the false belief that it will help her lose weight and feel better - yet another symptom of an eating disorder.

Hey - no fair.  Can *WE* spend a month at her country estate, do nothing but rest, eat food especially prepared for us, utilize the personal trainers, get massages . . . NOT fair at all.  

Do not anger the Chicken Club Oprah!