Thyroid Disorders Community
Can you mix synthroid and grapefruits???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Sorry, I know my question is random...I just heard that grapefruit juice can affect metabolism and was wondering if anyone knew if it was ok to be taking Synthroid and eating a grapefruit....thanks!
I'm not sure what the official medical answer is regarding grapefruit juice and Synthroid, but I have never noticed a difference when I drink pink grapefruit juice vs. any other juice.

I know grapefruit juice is a no-no with certain meds (my Mom can't drink it because of one of her post-heart attack medications), but I have never seen any warnings regarding synthroid.
I'm addicted to grapefruit in the winter when I can't get any other fresh, summer fruits.  I eat a half almost every day...don't think it's affect me.
I found a list of foods at one time that people on thyroid meds should NOT eat because they interfere with the absorption of the meds - I'm almost positive that grapefruit was on that list........ I'm going to have to try to find it again because *I* love grapefruit and juice- but quit eating it when I read that list......that means that I gave/threw away almost all the grapefruits off our tree last year...........Oh woe is me...................lol
I wouldn't eat grapefruit or drink the juice within a few hours of taking levo.  I take my pill first thing in the morning, and grapefruit is my lunch.  Five hours later, the pill is long ago absorbed.
Isn't it ironic how everything that goes in our stomachs has to be centered around the levo???  And I have so many people say to me "you're getting your thyroid med, why aren't you ok all the time"??   I take my pill when I get up at 3:00 am and figure that by 9:00 - 11:00, I should be safe to eat most things, but I have pretty much tried to avoid most of the things that are on the "no no" list, just in case........so you're saying that after a few hours, I'm safe to eat pretty much everything?  

Well, I may be a bit cavalier about it.  But, I figure they tell you not to eat for a half hour to an hour after.  And, they tell you not to take other meds or supplements for four hours (like calcium).  I think about taking something like an aspirin.  In half an hour, it's in your bloodstream.  So, I imagine the levo is, too.  Calcium is known to interact with levo, and you can take that a few hours later.  So, why not food?  I just try to keep my breakfast routine pretty constant so that even though something may be interfering with absorption, it's doing it on a daily basis, and I might just have to take a smidge more levo to compensate.
need a list of veggies and food that I can eat while on synthroid
It's easier to get a list of things NOT to eat.  Try googling "goitrogens", which are foods that inhibit thyroid function and/or absorption of thyroid medications.

Here's a couple I found:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/drugdatabase/f/goitrogen.htm

Basically, you should avoid a lot of cruciferous veggies (including, but not limited to: cabbage, broccoli, turnips, radishes, cauliflower, etc), soy products, etc.
Grapefruit is not on the list, has neer been on the list either, but it also is not one of the highly tested ones. I find That If I eat a whole grapefruit in a day I get cramps and gas and diaria, but that could be the antioxidents working against me.