Thyroid Disorders Community
Cannot loose weight
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cannot loose weight

I was hyperthyroid with all the symptoms except for weight loss  (unfortunately the one I may have appreciated).  My thyroid was treated radioactively and I am now hypothyroid…well, basically I no longer have a thyroid.  

Since this all began I gained about 75 lbs and it continues to climb.  The doctors have not offered much advice other than sympathy for my predicament stating I had a low metabolism before now it’s even worse.  The only time I have lost weight in over two years was when I had a very bad cold and temps between 100-102.  For a few weeks after I starting tracking my temperature and I was bizarrely low in the 93-95 range (I honestly thought my thermometer was broken).  Can you offer recommendations of diets to follow as I am desperate too loose (at least stop gaining).  I have experimented with different foods, calorie counts, etc and nothing makes a difference.  

Also, has anyone taken different meds with different results?

Desperate for ideas! -Liane
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
Weight gain is not unusual with hypo (I have Hashi's too).  I'm told that when my thryoid levels are balanced, I will be able to lose, so you might try taking a look at your lab work.  What tests have been run? What results?  Can you post them, along with the ranges the lab used?  

I'm still trying to get balanced also and for the most part, I'm managing to keep my weight steady, although I have found it impossible to lose even with keeping track of food intake, exercise, etc.  Don't give up - if you don't have copies of your latest labs, can you get them?  You don't say if you are on any meds or not.  
Blank
Hi Barb,

I am going in for a blood draw tomorrow because I gained 5 lbs last week for no reason (not the first time).  In the last 2 years all my T levels have been in the normal range.  I take 0.112mcg of Levothyroxine daily.

I'm thinking of trying to eat iodine rich food (seaweed and seafood) few weeks to see if that does anything.  They are generally considered healthy to eat so I'm doubting I will do any damage.   I'm also guessing if Hyerthyroids are supposed to avoid iodine rich foods, perhaps a hypo could try it.  

Have you heard of anything I can do to raise my body temp?  I tried exercise when I discovered this anomaly but it didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for responding Barb.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Liane
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank