Thyroid Disorders Community
Can't sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Can't sleep

Ugh.. I literally stay up all night every night.  I didn't get any sleep whatsoever last night.  My hair is still falling out so much, that I just know I will have bald patches soon.  It just sucks that there is nothing to do for all this.  Since my TSH was 3.79 the quacky endo didn't want to put me on anything.  I'm trying to get my docs to refer me to another for a second opinion, but they are taking their good old time.  Then when I stay up all night, my goiter starts bothering me more.. AHH.  I just hope they can try something to shrink my thyroid gland, and maybe give me some medication to see if it helps me to feel human again.  I just can't imagine living like this, WAITING for my TSH to go outside of the normal range.  I guess I'm just venting again.  I seriously feel like I want crack from the doctors or something ha.  There has to be SOMETHING..

ok.... I'll quit complaining.

How many of you have insomnia?

Count me for the insomnia category.  I'be been on sleeping meds for over 3 months now.  One reason is I'm on 150 mgs of levothyroxine for thyca supression and the other is menopause, both of which will cause insomnia.  I was on Ambien for 1 month but it wasn't working at all,so I switched to Lunesta, which is working much better for me.  
raising hand for the insomnia thingy....I hate it...nothing works...if I go to sleep I keep waking up!
Hand up too...I take two Rozarems instead of one when I get desperate. But insurance doesn't cover this and it gets expensive. Have you tried two Benedryls? Sometimes works for me but not lately. I find my body is tired but my mind won't rest.
Me too!  2 weeks post TT and increased to .150mcg of Synthroid.  I am currently taking an OTC Sleep Aid because I am so sensitive to meds...they either work really, really well or they "turn" on me...or go the other way and making me hyper.

I find that it is not complaining...I feel that it has taken some of us so long to get a correct diagnosis that this is all I can talk about and when we need help and it doesn't seem to be anywhere in reach it is frustrating.

Take care of yourself and if you don't get some relief...I would get a second opinion, or third, or however many you need to get relief.  Because if it is the thyroid...and the longer it goes untreated or undiagnosed the worse the symptoms become.
Suzie
Wow, I had no idea insomnia was so common.  I am so tired at this point that I think if I drove it would be worse than driving drunk.  I'm so positive I have hashimoto's but it doesn't really help me any because they still most likely wont treat me with that even though I have such a huge goiter.  It just seems there should be a middle ground somewhere for treatment.  OR.. maybe more treatment options need to be studied because so many people suffer at this level but can't get meds.  I was on my way to get a second opinion and turns out the other endo near me no longer takes my insurance.  Now I am stuck.  The only other ones I can go to are in the the ghetto of Detroit which is a LONG drive.  This is so frustrating.
My problem was left undiagnosed or untreated for so long that my thyroid was huge and affected my breathing and eating.  The pressure on my nerves and arteries in my neck caused my fingers to go numb and tingle...as well as my mouth and jaw.  My face was swollen and my eyes were puffy.  Even though I still have some swelling after TT I am so glad that I did it.  My diagnosis was Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which means that my body was attacking my thyroid as if it were something foreign.  and because it was left untreated it was not contained in size.  that is why it grew so large that it had to come out.  Ask your endo to test for thyroid antibodies.  maybe that will help.

Suzie
I do have antibodies that were high and a huge 5 cm goiter.  It is multinodular but the nodules were too small to biopsy.  I had tons of them.  My blood tests were normal though, so i can't get treatment =(.
Add me to the club. I take otc sleeping pills on top of the vicodin and should be dead to the world but at the most I sleep maybe an hour or two at a time. Hubby has been renting me the CSI series. I watch an entire dvd every night. I think thats 5 or 6 episodes. He went to take back movies tonight and I told him to get 3 more.....sigh

notice how freaking quiet it is at 3 in the morning?? kinda creepy
Another member here.  Have always had trouble with insomnia, except when pregnant and when hyper.  But now is sooooo much worse.   When I was hyper I could have slept through anything, I think.  But hypohell just doesn't let you sleep like you need to.  Now that my thyroid is normal am having adrenal problems, so I can sleep all day, but not at night, even though I am so tired I feel like I ought to be asleep around the clock, I don't.  Am so exhausted all the time, but it's usually around 2 am before I can go to sleep.  The requip I take for RLS does help, though.  Before it I would be up all night long.

Having a TSH of 3.79 shows you to be hypo.  The current standard is no more than 3.0.  If you go this web site you can read about them and print them off to take to your dr.  

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/a/labs2003.htm  

Hope you find some help soon.  Also if you go to this web site maybe you can find a new endo.

http://www.thyroid.org/patients/specialists.php

Good luck and know you're not up alone.
Dac