Thyroid Disorders Community
Coffee and hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Coffee and hypothyroidism

I have no information if I can drink coffee with hypothyroidism. I also add fat free hazelnut coffee creamer.  I have about 3 cups a day and it is caffeinated.  anyone know if this is good or ot so good.
I take my med when I wake up about 630 and have a cup of coffee about 7a....  Should I wait an hour?
One hour is best but if you cant wait, Its like anything else mixing in your stomach and thyroid med before one hour:

You need to be consitant about it. The times you dont drink coffee in that one hr window you will absorb more thyroid med. Your lab tests will show this too.
I asked my doctor about it last week - he said to keep coffee to a minimum, I said I usually have one cup per day and he said that's fine... And he told me to never drink coffee 1 hour before and after taking thyroid med.
I take my thyroid med as soon as I get up, and usually have my first cup of coffee (1/2 caff) about 30 minutes later.  It could cause some people to need a higher dose of med; however, it's never affected my levels.

You might want to abstain on blood test day, until after you've had the blood draw.
Hi i was drinking 4/5 cup of coffee a day and find that now coffee seems to react with my meds i am trying my meds of a night and have cut coffee to only 2 cup a day and 2/3 cup of tea.
More importantly, a properly functioning human body should not need coffee everyday.

There is a difference between "needing" coffee and just enjoying the taste. There are better decaf brands than in the past if someone doesn't need the caffine.

Once thyroid levels are working right for someone that was hypo, and any sleep issues are resolved, one should not "need" coffee to wake up or stay awake. Being tired is the result of something not right in the body.

Of course there are exceptions to every thing: if you have to get up way earlier than what is healthy and acutually miss most of you REM sleep time, well, thats just not doing you any good anyway.

The day I have to give up my coffee is the day you can shoot me in the head.

I have given up a lot  for this thyroid disease and do feel better BUT.....I do only drink about a cup or two in the morning....four hours after taking my meds....I have always loved coffee and that is the one pleasure I still enjoying.

So be it!
Mia
I used to be one who had to get up way earlier than was what is healthy (3:30 am), when I was working; I was also having hypo sleep issues, at that time, so the first thing I needed in the morning, was my shower, the second thing was my coffee, and I had my routine timed almost to the second every morning.

Now that I'm retired, I just enjoy relaxing with a cup of coffee, in the morning, while I "wake up" and plan my day. As I noted above, I do drink "1/2 caff", which is 1/2 caffeinated and 1/2 decaf.

I think we also get into a "habit" of doing the same thing every day, so even if we don't "need" the coffee, we drink if from habit.
As noted, I made the technical difference between enjoying coffee (understood) and needing it. If people need it, perhaps (most likely) their thyroid is not optimal yet.

I used to drink coffee when I was hypo, and a bazillion energy drinks - because I needed them.

I no longer "need" them when my thyroid is optimal and I get quality (not quantity) sleep. But if I had to get up at 3 (inhumane), I'd need it again.
Hi there,

My Endo said it was fine to take my Synthroid then I could have my coffee right after with even a little milk in it.  I have been doing it for years and the meds seem to work.

Smileyhappy
Not exactly.......Its not that simple -

As previously stated..........You need to be consitant about it. The times you dont drink coffee in that one hr window you will absorb more thyroid med. Your lab tests will show this too.

The days you fast after taking med you WILL absorb more. So thats the same as taking different doses different days.