Cold Medicines? What can I take?
Well, between my thyroid meds and my high blood pressure meds it seems I may just have to suffer through this cold. Dang! I feel miserably miserable and this just sucks. :O(  A while back a pharmasist told me I could take Claritin but that is a 24 hr allergy type med isn't it? I went ahead and took one but have seen little relief. Have a nasty head cold, stuffy nose, sinus pressure, sore throat (which is NOT good at this point) and a bit of a cough. Just feeling lousy. Had  a fever early this a.m. but took motrin and it stopped. Felt a bit better this afternoon but crashing again now this evening. *sigh* Anyone have the magic pill we can take for colds with thyroid meds too? Thanks!   Darla
Hyperthyroids are the ones who can't take cold medicins when it states or  instructed on bottle/container.  Hypos are ok taking the medicine.  Unless its your blood pressure medicine that is the concern. Your hypothyroid status due to surgery is not.
  My husband has high BP too and has to be careful what he takes as well, basically anything with a decongestant is a no-no, however, I found an over the counter product made for people with hbp it's called  "  Coricidin HBP  cough & cold"  and also " Coricidin HBP  chest congestion & cough ".

Hubby said the cough & cold did not relieve his symptoms ( of course that's the one i got ! LOL) but he likes the congestion & cough  one so that what he takes.

You could also try mucinex  ( just the plain one not D)

Hope you feel better soon.
I can't take pseudoephedrine. My doc says that because of the hypothyroid I'll be sensetive to any medecine that raises your heart rate. I take saline sinus washes and ibuprofin. Believe it or not, as gross as it is, the saline washes are a miracle!! Maybe even nosespray since that's local.
On the hyper side I find anything that interacts with the central nervous system in the way of a stimulant such as caffeine or sudafed and asthma scripted albuterol inhaler, makes me very jittery .. so I cut the otc dosing in 1/2 to 1/4 and it helps but no side effects ..... my endo told me I wasn't imagining this and my reg. dr. is the one who alerted me to the otc cold remedies in the first place while taking Synthroid!~

C~
Hey - I'm hypo but because I cycle hyper/hypo I don't take cold medicine as I get racing heart so I use the neti pot w/ saline wash - good for allergies, colds and even helps w/ migraines - even kids can do this (if you can convince them that is) it's safe and feels great - also good old vicks on the chest at night - good luck
If it's the same bug that's going around our area, it's a nasty one that hangs on forever.  I'm so sorry you feel bad!  I'm coming up on 4 weeks with it now.  The first two were rough, and now I just have a lingering dry cough.  I felt so awful at first that I ended up taking NyQuil to help me sleep at night.  I didn't have any bad reactions, but I'm sure there are some that do.  She also prescribed the albuterol inhaler and I had no problems with that either.

There are a lot of good suggestions here, and hopefully I can remember them all next time it hits.  I hope you're feeling better real soon!!

Lori