Thyroid Disorders Community
Cold hand and Feet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Cold hand and Feet

Hi, I am freezing cold all the time. My feet and hands are ice cold. My TSH is 2.00 and in another test was 3.6 with normal range .4 to 4.5. Thyroid Antibody test is also normal, i think <10. My doc didnt do T3 or T4 test and said I dont have Thyroid problems. I have extreme brain fog and i am fatigued. Cannot even function normally. My body temperature is usually 97.0 to 98.0 but still my hands and feet are freezing.

Is it possible to have hypothyroidism even with normal TSH. Can you suggest some literature/ research which i could print out and take to my doc to read.

I also want to know that if people with hypothyroid feel cold, do they get warm when they exercise. I do get warm when I exercise but after that again i get cold.
First, over 7 years ago the AACE recommended that the range for TSH should be changed from .4 - 4.5 down to .3 - 3.0.  So your lab and doctor are out of date like many others.  Even if your TSH is within the new range, TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables that it is inadequate as a diagnostic for thyroid problems.  At best it is an indicator to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms and the levels of the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones, free T3 and free T4 (not total T3 and total T4).  FT3 is the most important because it is four times as active as Ft4, plus FT3 correlates best with hypo symptoms,  So you need to be tested for FT3 and FT4, along with TSH.

In my opinion the very best way to treat a thyroid patient is to test and adjust the levels of FT3 and FT4 with whatever type of meds are necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not TSH level.  In fact TSH does not correlate very well at all with hypo symptoms.  Why doctors continue to rely so heavily on TSH is a mystery to many of us here.

I think you can get some good info from this link and possibly use it for discussion with your doctor, because you are either going to have to change his approach or find a good thyroid doctor that will treat your symptoms, not your TSH level.

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html
When I first was diagnosed with this mess I went out and bought "the complete thyroid handbook".  Its easy to read, gives simple explanations and is perfect for thyroid 101.  Its not all tricked up and confusing. It will give you a good place to start.  Of course the best source of information is on this support board.  Just start reading and asking questions.

I got the cold flashes too.  Once I got on my meds, I get mainly hot flashes now.  Good luck