Thyroid Disorders Community
Complications after Crohn's diagnosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Complications after Crohn's diagnosis

We are in New Zealand.  My wife was diagnosed with Crohn's disease age 50 , 2 years ago and had 3 bowel resections.  During her recovery it was noticed that her thyroid was enlarged and she had an ultrasound which produced the following report:

Enlarged thyroid.

FINDINGS: The thyroid gland is diffusely enlarged and is heterogeneous, with the left lobe measuring 6.5cm in length and the right lobe 5cm. Multiple nodules are present throughout both lobes of the thyroid, with multiple hyperechoic nodules, the largest on the left measuring 3.8cm in maximum dimension. The isthmus measures 9mm in AP thickness. No adjacent lymphadenopathy is seen.

CONCLUSION: Appearances are consistent with a multinodular goitre.

Q:  Should he have expected a follow up from the hospital?
Should she visit her GP and ask for a follow up?
We have noticed a lump to the left of centre, is this what was reported?
What treatment can my wife expect?
An enlarged thyroid is not uncommon.I'm 48 and I have had Crohn's for 32 years. I also have a very large multinodular thyroid. The whole enlarged gland is called a "goiter". According to the report you included it looks like there is no swelling to the lymph nodes which sort of surround the thyroid. That's good. Should someone have talked to her about the findings... sure. It wouldn't hurt for her to go to her GP and discuss the options. She can, as I am about to do, have the entire gland out. Or she can just keep an eye on it. It should be biopsied evrey few years to make sure there are no cancerous cells.That is done with a needle and some local anesthetic.I have had mine checked every two years and have never had a problem. Now my neck just looks swollen all the time so I've had enough. Plus, sometimes my throat feels full.If any of these symptoms occur or she ever has difficulty swallowing, or if her voice gets hoarse, it's time to see someone.
Good luck,
Johanna
***@****