Thyroid Disorders Community
Compound Prescriptions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Compound Prescriptions

Anyone else have experience with using compound prescriptions? Thoughts? Success? Doses?
Thanks-
Well, yes, someone here has, (not me).

I looked into it several yrs ago. Its a little more spendy (call several places as prices vary greatly).

Pros -You might have several fillers to choose from. And this is the only real reason to go with compounding.

Cons - The possibility of human error. (Just don't order on Monday morning, or late Friday !!)
Mine was $33 for a one month supply which is $12 more than my co-pay so not too bad. I just got it and the dose is 20 mcg T3/6o mcg T4 in a gel cap. I'm kind of freaking out because I was planning to split the dose per other members post but now can't. My currant dose is 25 mcg of Synthroid only.
Compounded thyroid med is usually the last resort after everything else has been tried..

It only makes sense if whats currently on the market does not work for you.
My daughter has been taking a compounded T3 for about a year and has had some real relief with her symptoms.  What is the reason they are putting you on the medication.  It seems you are on an extremely low dose of synthroid so maybe you could benefit from a natural thyroid medication.  My daughter does not convert T4 to T3 well so she needed a compounded T3.