Compounds or Synthroid??
I have been taking a compound thyroid for awhile and I feel great, but I have new insurance and the cost of synthroid is now pretty low and I'm thinking about going back unless I can find a cheaper compound. I'm paying $50/month with $7 shipping in Burbank, CA and that seems to be the going rate (give or take $5). Any thoughts?
Don't try to fix something that is not broken!!
If you are on a dose that is working, feeling great then....keep going!

If you can pay for it, it is worth every penny.

So many times when we switch medication types, doses or makers...thing go haywire and before you know it, you are having to test for Free T3 and 4's and seeing endo , posting on this forum,etc...

So, if this were me...I wouldn't rock the boat!!!
Mia
Just curious about what you meant by compound thyroid.  Did you mean an NDT type T4/T3 med, or a specially compounded thyroid med?  If the former, what dosage do you take daily?  If the latter what thyroid hormones are in the compound and what is the daily dosage of each hormone?
Mine is primarily T3 and it's 150mg. I am really feeling like it's worth it to stay on the customized compound. When my thyroid was off it just felt so terrible and I realized that I just didn't fall into the conventional treatment (synthroid) box. I'm going to my doctor today, she's great, so hopefully she'll have some suggestions and I'll let you know. Thanks for all of the feedback.
sorry, 150 mcg. I'm going to my appt. now so I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks.
Okay! Just got back and I have a pharmacy in Florida that ships nationwide for free and my 150mcg is $22.90!! I don't have the name bc I forgot the script in my car, but I'll let you know. This is a huge difference, so I'm pretty psyched. Now, if I could only get someone to customize insulin I'd be in business.
You're on 150 mcg T3 daily?  

Please post just what medicine you are taking and how much in dosage.

I was on a compound T3/T4  at one time..

Is the T4 140Mcgs and T3 10 mcgs?? Something like that??
Ditto on the fact that if you found something that worked and its either $50 or even $150 a month, do it.  I would pay $100 a month for something to make me feel better and donate a pint of blood to a charity every week if that was what it took to feel better.
Okay, it's 150mg of T3 and the name of the pharmacy is Custom Scripts Pharmacy out of Tampa.

I also take Novolog and Levemir (30/day and 20/day respectively). Endo diseases are complicated and exhausting, so any little bit helps, because the economy isn't what it used to be.

And Bruce, I totally agree, so I'm glad I got this straightened out.  
Oh and Gimel, I was referring to a special compound medication or form of the T3.
So it is a compounded med containing T3.  Is that really 150 mg, or is it mcg?  Then the real question is how much of the 150 mg, (or mcg) is actually T3, versus other material?
I think it's straight T3, but that's a good question. It says 2.5 grains on my old label, but the new script says 150mg. I'll call and find out and let you know in a minute.
Okay, mine is straight T3 at $22.90 and the 150mg T4 is $45.00. They said they can do any combo the doctor specifies. Also the free shipping is standard mail, which if you're good about ordering ahead then that's awesome, but I'm not, so priority shipping is a flat $5.

I hope this helps. I put my order in yesterday without priority, so I'll let you know how long it takes to get to me in Cali.
Sorry to belabor the point, but please clarify.  If your med is really 150 mcg of straight T3, that would be enough to put you into orbit.  If it were truly 150 mg of T3 that would be even worse.  

I have to believe that the actual % of T3 is low enough that the total T3 in the 150 (mcg or mg) is a reasonable dosage.  Remember that T3 is at least 4 times as active as T4.  So what we need to know is the ACTUAL AMOUNT of T3 in the dosage.  It just can't be 150, even mcg, much less mg.

Is there a link that we can see the med?
Okay, spoke to the actual pharmacist this time, so I hope this makes more sense:

"Your Thyroid medication is desiccated pork thyroid. Typical T4:T3 ratio of 8.4:1"
It's embarrassing that I don't know more about this. I really need to start understanding what I'm putting inside of me, because I'm getting too old for a "if it feels good, do it!" mentality. Thanks Gimel
That sounds a bit strange, since it is porcine thyroid.  That is the same as used in Armour Thyroid, or Nature- Throid.  Those contain T4 to T3 in a ratio of about 39 mcg of T4 and 9 mcg of T3 in each grain of the NDT, which is 60 mg.  I don't see how they could do anything to change the ratio.  

Anyway if you are getting 150mg (2 1/2 grains) of the med,  I expect that it is giving you 2 1/2 times the 39 mcg of T4 and 2 1/2 times the 9 mcg of T3, for a total of 97.5 mcg of T4 and 22.5 mcg of T3?   That is a pretty hefty dose.  

I am taking 3 grains of Armour thyroid daily.  I get it from a local pharmacy.  The cost is low enough that it is cheaper to pay cash than use my insurance deductible.  I just got a 3 month supply of 270 tablets for a total cash cost of $45.99.  
try np thyroid natural costs 5 dollars a month at target.
Kevin, what is np thyroid natural?  Is that OTC, or prescription?
Yeah, I'm on a pretty hefty dose, but admittedly I'm not aware of how it correlates to other people's doses. Maybe you can PM me the name of your pharmacy and I can check my prescription cost there. I called probably two dozen pharmacies and this one was the best, so I'd love to know. I know I tried armour thyroid once and even though it should've worked for me, it didn't for some reason, so I went to this 2.5 grain once daily and my numbers leveled out and I felt great, so go figure.  

Also, thanks for the info Kevin. I think for now I'll go with the "if it ain't broke" mentality.
The pharmacy I mentioned does not do any special compounding.  They just supply meds they get from mfgrs./distributors.  

What amount of Armour Thyroid did you try?  Understand that I'm not pushing it, I just wonder what is different between Armour and your current med.
I don't remember, it was a long time ago and I've moved away from that doctor since then, but I remember being really excited about it and it ended up giving me palpitations, I couldn't sleep and I was sweating constantly....Also, didn't like the multiple pills per day deal. I just ended up being better on what I'm currently on and it was a lot easier to take.