Thyroid Disorders Community
Cost of Needle Biopsy on Thyroid Nodule.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I was wondering if anyone who has had this procedure may be able to give me an approx. cost of how much this cost.  I am Australian but currently in the US.  The Surgeon I contacted told me the initial appointment would cost $300-$400 and then could not even give me a ball park figure on how much the actual procedure would cost.  I do not have health insurance. If I knew approx. how much this may cost I would know whether or not I should travel back to Australia where I can have it done for free there. I have a complex nodule on my Thyroid gland measuring up to 2.6cm.  Any input into the cost of these procedures would be greatly appreciated.  
I haven't had any biopsy done, but I know we have members who have, so if you can be patient, I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question.

Another thing you might try is to call the surgeon you talked to and speak with someone in the business office; they would be more likely to have cost information than the doctor himself. Keep in mind that if the biopsy isn't done at the doctor's office, there would be additional charge for whatever facility you have it done at.

You can also call around and do some "price comparison"; different doctors, different facilities, etc.......
I don't know when you were planning to go back to Australia, but it could probably wait.  That is not a huge nodule, and unless it is causing tremendous pain or other symptoms that you can't live with, you could wait a few months.  If, by any chance, it is cancer...and the chances are only 5-15%, thyroid cancer is usually very slow growing, so waiting is an option.  It all depends on how long you will be waiting.  I had one biopsy, but due to being in the military health system, I do not know how much it was.  I didn't get a definitive result, either, which apparently happens a lot.  Even if you get the biopsy, you may not get an answer. Good luck!
I wish I could recall for you .... It was a few hundred US $ for the pathologist to read the results, $ to take the sample and charges from the facility.  I don't want you to quote me but maybe around $1,500-$1,700 done in a hospital on the East Coast ? You can call a major hospital if you have the CPT codes and ask billing for a breakdown in charges maybe.

Here is a post I found - with somebody else talking about the cost for her FNA:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/insurance-or-lack-of/show/729083?personal_page_id=334101#post_3847306

C~