Could I be hypothyroid? Something else?
I am 260 lbs, 5'7'', 18 years old, female. I have severe depression and anxiety. I was diagnosed with PCOS (Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome) when I was 15. My mom is hypothyroid.

I switched to a new psychiatrist and he thought I should look into if I had a thyroid problem because of my symptoms, PCOS, and mom's history. I told him doctors always check my thyroid when I get blood work done and it always comes back normal. He asked if it was "low normal" and I didn't know....so I got a new lab draw.

TSH= 1.92     range .34 - 4.82
FT$= .61     range .59 - 1.80

I sent the results to the psychiatrist and have not seen him yet. What do you think? I am hoping this could be the answer to my strange never ending depression because I have been dealing with it since I was 14 and it really came out of nowhere. Have been on 20+ different mood stabilizers and antidepressants. Could I be hypothyroid?

Thanks.
woops meant to type FT4, not FT$
Good Morning!
First, I am not a clinician or physician.  However, I suffered from undiagnosed thyroid disorder for most of my life.  It all came to a screeching halt when anxiety  grew into panic attacks & escalated even further when I was prescribed "Ativan" & a low dose thyroid medication.

Landed me in the hospital.  It was a blessing for me.

What I have learned through this experience...kinda like the chicken & the egg story.  Which came first in my case.  Depression suppresses the thyroid gland.  A lack of balance with the thyroid causes depression.

Your thyroid has a great deal to do with all of your other organs & their optimum or lack thereof regarding performance.  

Have a heart to heart with yourself first.  Make a small change every week & make it "stick."  Diet, exercise, break your routine, keep a journal. Particularly at this time of year food banks are desperate for volunteers.  A few hours a week could be of tremendous help to Salvation Army.  

See if this helps...even a little with your mood. Look to improve your own life with clarity & forethought.  Give it 30 days.

Go back to your primary care physician & request another battery of tests.  Request your psychiatrist either write a letter and?or call your medical doc.  Get support.

I wish you well.  You are ahead of most young people...you are asking questions!  Keep it up.  YOU are your own BEST advocate.

kindest regards,

Elliot777

Your FT4 is very low.  For a number of reasons, FT3 and FT4 ranges are very flawed, making the whole lower half of the range suspect.  Many of us find that hypo symptoms persist until FT4 is close to, or even slightly above, midrange.

Your doctor should also be testing FT3.  T3 is the "active" form of the thyroid hormones, the only form your cells can use, so FT3 level is very important.

If I were you, I'd ask my doctor for a trial dose of thyroid meds to see if it helps your depression...bet it would.