Thyroid Disorders Community
Cumulative effect of T3 (Cytomel)?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Cumulative effect of T3 (Cytomel)?

I know that Cytomel has a short half life. Nevertheless, after taking 2.5 mcgs daily for three weeks (in addition to my regular 62.5 mcg of Synthroid daily) ,  I am suddenly getting hyper symptoms. (I was initially feeling fine on the Cytomel and had started slowly from 1.25 mcgs daily).  Is there a cumulative effect of T3 despite its short half life?

Thank you in advance.

Sarah  
Same thing happened to me.
I backed off on the T3 and felt better.
Only trouble, some symptoms returned that the T3 had alleviated.
Back on T3, every other or third day, as needed.

I found that my lower back and hip hurt if I take T3 daily.
And I was only doing a half a 5mcg tablet.

Think this game is a lot like Candyland or Chutes & Ladders
Have to keep a very stiff upper lip :)

Dx'd hypo 8/12....what a fun year
T3 is used up within a few hours, so it's not really "cumulative", but it can gradually bring your FT3 level too high.  While some people say they get an immediate "jolt" from T3, I don't.  I was on it for several months before my level started to rise and I could tell I was taking it.

What are your actual thyroid hormone levels? You should be getting tested regularly for Free T3, Free T4 and TSH.  TSH varies greatly, even throughout a given day, so if your doctor is only testing TSH, s/he will keep you on a roller coaster of raising/lowering dosages because you'll be trying to hit a moving target.   Be sure to post reference ranges with any labs, since ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.

What symptoms are you having?  Some symptoms can apply to both/either hyper and hypo, such as fatigue, insomnia, anxiety, etc.  While heart palps are most often associated with hyper, some of have/had them with hypo, as well.

We'll be able to tell more, once we see your labs.
It does no good whatsoever to take T3 med only every other day, as it needs to stay steady in your blood.  If you're getting by taking only 2.5 mcg (half of a 5 mcg pill), chances are, you don't need it at all.  Most of us on T3 med, split our dosage and take 1/2 in the morning, the other 1/2 later in the day, in order to keep levels stable.  For instance, I'm on 10 mcg; I take 5 in the AM with my Tirosint and the other 5 around noon.  

As with Sarah, if you'd like to post your current labs, we'd be glad to take a look at them.  You might want to start your own thread, if you haven't, already, so we can keep the 2 of you separate.
Thanks so much for your feedback.  It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one.  I just stopped taking it a couple of days ago.  It's disappointing since I was feeling better for a few weeks and then the hyperlike effects occurred.  But then I have a similar response to increases of the Synthroid!

I appreciate your help.

Sarah