Thyroid Disorders Community
Cytomel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Cytomel

Does cytomel need to be taken on an empty stomache...and what would be the recommended daily dosage?
I did a quick on-line search and I found the following:
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/cytomel_tablets.html

Basically it says you can take it with, or without, food.  Also the dosage goes from 5mg on up depending on your needs and your doctor's recommendations.  It is fast-acting (unlike your other thyroid medication) so it will have to be in a low dose while your other medications work their way out of your system.

FYI.

Hi there. I take Cytomel and it can be taken with or without food. I like to take it on an empty stomach just to get the most out of it. Some individuals that have sensitive stomachs might want to take it with food. However, whatever way you take it, it should be taken at least an hour after Synthroid, if you are on the combo. Good luck and you should feel the difference within next week.
I took cytomel as well for the weeks preceding my RAI treatment (4 weeks) , now I'm on nothing going hypo for RAI , had a tt and was instructed to take cytomel 25mcg , half in the am, half in the pm, 1 hr before meals or 2 hrs after. After blood work they found my TSH was to high and modified me to 25mcg in the am and a half pill in the pm.

I liked cytomel though, found it got rid of that spacy feeling I had on synthroid,along with some heart palp,anxiety, moodiness. I had more energy and appetite, but started gaining some weight b/c of a higher TSH. We'll see what the next round of meds does for me.
Thanks for the info!
Thanks jezz, you've been very helpful!