Thyroid Disorders Community
Dangerous TSH levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Dangerous TSH levels

How high can TSH levels get before they are life threatening?
I can't answer your ? , sorry.

Just wanted to say I've read of readings as high as 312 and that person not knowing it- just having a bit of fatigue.

Not sure how they could deal with it or not feel it - when I hit a tsh of 39 I was a mess!

teresa
Thankyou
Its probably one of those things that is different for every one.
Mine was 10.6 and I felt fine, I even felt then I do now.
I read a post here not too long ago in which the poster stated that even being mildly hypo for a long period of time can takes its toll on your body. Thyroid med is inexpensive, and even your primary care MD can prescribe it. (You don't need to see an endocrinologist) The med is essentially a synthetic duplicate of the throid hormone that already exists in your body (plus the pill's fillers), so it's not like you're putting some strange chemical or addictive substance into your body. So, why not treat your condition???! Why wait until you feel bad??!! Also, being hypo can lead to serious health conditions including cardiovascular. If you have hashi, your TSH number will most likely increase with time and you'll eventually start to feel it. Why not talk this over with your MD. I'm certain he/she will strongly recommend treatment.
I read a post here not too long ago in which the poster stated that even being mildly hypo for a long period of time can takes its toll on your body. Thyroid med is inexpensive, and even your primary care MD can prescribe it. (You don't need to see an endocrinologist) The med is essentially a synthetic duplicate of the throid hormone that already exists in your body (plus the pill's fillers), so it's not like you're putting some strange chemical or addictive substance into your body. So, why not treat your condition???! Why wait until you feel bad??!! Also, being hypo can lead to serious health conditions including cardiovascular. If you have hashi, your TSH number will most likely increase with time and you'll eventually start to feel it. Why not talk this over with you MD. I'm certain he/sh will stringly recommend treatment.
All of your stories have helped me so much. It is nice to know I am not alone in this battle. About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyriodism. After seeing many drs for many different symtoms (symptoms) my neurologist ran a TSH test. He called with the news that I would finally feel better soon!!! My tsh was 281 and all I had to do was take a little pill every day and I would be all better. I think I cried for the next few hours because I was so relieved that I had some answers, that someone believed how bad I felt, and I now knew I wasn't dying! My symptoms were so bad I was sure I was going to die. My body hurt everywhere, I was tired beyond tired, my hair was falling out, my eyes were so swollen I had to ice them every morning etc. Well I felt great after taking armour thyroid for the last few years but I started getting all my symptoms back the last month. I had my levels checked and they are back up to 68. I'm frustrated because the drs don't know why my tsh went up so high so quick and I know how long it will take to get my levels back to normal range and for me to feel better. Has anyone here had their tsh skyrocket so quickly and if so do you know why?
Stress and ilhealth are a majot factor in TSH going high...also autoimmune diseases.
My TSH  was 144 and i felt just a bit slow... the symptoms i had i put down to menopause. was dx Hashi and Hypo..
Hello ,
it depends on each one ! having higher tsh does not mean suffering more ,tsh is not a thyroid hormone ,its a pituitary hormone (thyroid stimulating hormone) ,maybe the dose one take is a better indicator for the severity of the condition !

feel well !
maybe it's the new armor formulation that's not working for you.
What other tests are being done, besides TSH?  Your TSH is definitely too high, but is a pituitary hormone, not thyroid.  You also need to have Free T4 and Free T3 done to see what your actual thyroid hormones are.  In addition, you should be tested for antibodies to see if you have autoimmune disease.  

Have they looked into pituitary function?  
and by the way it can reach as high as 600 !!
When your thyroid isn't working properly for a long period of time (different for everyone) then your adrenal glands try to overcompensate...then you get adrenal problems. The whole endocrine system is connected.

I've heard that autoimmune thyroid disease can cause spikes in TSH as the disease sets in. I'm actually getting ready to look for information about this. I had an episode last November where my neck (thyroid region) was very tender and sore and having the same sort of episode again for the past few days. I was told originally that the soreness was caused by autoimmune disease activity.
I am actually going through the same thing, and I have been going through it now for the last 4 yrs! About a month ago my levels dropped to .011, I was getting way to much synthroid. I was taking 150 mcg at that time, my doctor decreased my meds to 125 mcg. I knew it was messed up because my heart was going crazy fast. I finally had enough and now I am seeing an endocrinologist. I have stopped taking my meds very day and started cutting doses in half. (NOT ADVISED I DID THIS ON MY OWN) Now my endocinologist took my TSH levels and I am now at 171.5! I was diagnosed with Hashi syndrom (syndrome) years ago and T3 dominance. I think everyone should see a specialist at least 1. I now no how to take my meds properly!
You should take the same amount each week ,at the same time each day !
I mean the same dose every saturday at the same time ,the same dose every sunday at the same time ... !

what is 171.5 ? is it the TSH ?
I think that you should consult an endo and to ask him to regulate your dose and to treat you correctly,since it sounds that you have been put on a high initial dose .

see an endo !

good luck ,
I was in the hosp for 3 days this last Jan and they told me my level is 77 I now am taking 250mcg of levoxathyroid and I still feel horrible ,my hair is falling out my hands and cuticles are so dry they bleed I have had menstral bleeding for over a month I called the Dr. he said wait till 5.15.2010 for my regular bloodtest visit I fear I'll be dead by then my face is puffy I sleep all the time and beyond crabby someone tell me what should I do last time I was in the dr. was convinced I wasn't taking my meds I can get them at walmart for 4 dollars why whouldn't I not take them ???????????? sametime everymorning Help
For people to help:

Your TSH was 77 in January. What is it now? And are they testing Free T3 and T4?

How long have you been on thyroid meds? And is it Levothyroxine or Levothryrid? I dont recall Levoxathyroid.

Have you ever felt good on it?

What else has possiblly changed that your TSH is was 77.  The actual hormones measured as Free T4 and Free T3 in you are what matters.  

I have been diagnosed with Hypo only 4 weeks ago.  My TSH was at 311 and I had awful symptoms for years but could always put them down to other things.. stress, aging, etc.  However, at the end of last year my menstruation became so heavy I went to complain to the doctor and he order bloodwork which revealed this problem.  My hair had previously been thinning.  But now if I run my hands through my hair after putting conditioner through it I find there are approx 30-40 hairs wrapped around my fingers.  It has been like this for about the last couple of weeks and I'm freaking out a bit.  I have just been back to the doctor and he said he is not surprised that this is happening and thinks it is as a result of the disorder being so advanced and that it is just that the medication has not had enough time to make a difference.  

Anyone with any advice would be appreciated.  Not wanting to be bald anytime soon. :-)

in addition to last post I have had a check up some three weeks after my initial diagnosis and results of 311 and I am now testing TSH at 52

Yay
The truth of the matter is yes there is severely serious dangers with a high TSH count and if not addressed properly the repercussions can be life threatening.  Your doctor will not tell you that, but the fact is people with higher TSH 10 or above are far more likely to develop serious heart problems, circulatory problems, angina, anxiety, irritability, panic attacks, and the list goes on. The have recently changed the TSH level to an even lower range than they thought was previously acceptable.  Not to mention the lethal side effects of Levothyroxin (levothyroxine) that your doctor's I am sure fail to tell you about. Did you know that Levothyroxin (levothyroxine) has never been approved by the FDA because it is never stable and the potency changes from dose to dose.  Go to the FDA website and check for yourself if you don't believe me- proof is right there.
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what happens to the body when you have sustained exaggerated levels of TSH above 400? What damage can/does it cause throughout the body?

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and my TSH levels were 498, I felt tired; I had facial spasms that resembled TIS and pronouncedly reduced cognitive skills. I told my doctor “I felt a bit tired”. He brought in another doctor to read my results and told me to tell this doctor what I just told him. I told the new doctor, “I felt a bit tired”. The new doctor told me “You should feel a bit coma!” That weekend I had a complete thyroidectomy including removal of the parathyroid as my goiter was from ear to ear, jawbone down to under my collarbone. When removed the surgeon said it was fibrous, about 2 inches thick, and had the consistency of over cooked chicken. The first positive result was that my sleep apnea cleared up immediately.
Severe untreated hypothyroidism can cause a variety of issues within the body.  Your thyroid controls your body temperature, metabolism, heart rate, and other body functions.

High TSH does not, itself, cause symptoms.  TSH is a pituitary hormone produced to stimulate the thyroid to make hormones.  If the thyroid does not respond to the demand, the pituitary continues to pump out TSH.  Your symptoms would have been due to lack of adequate hormones, plus the actual size/condition of your thyroid.

Are you currently on a thyroid medication?  If so, what med/dose, for how long?  What are your current thyroid levels?  That would be Free T3 and Free T4, along with TSH.  If you have a copy of your current lab results, please post them, along with the reference ranges, which vary from lab to lab, so must come from your own report.  

Were you tested for thyroid antibodies to see if you have either/both Hashimoto's Thyroiditis or Graves Disease?  

Once stabilized on thyroid replacement medication, your symptoms should be alleviated; however, if there was actual damage done to your heart or other organs, that damage might not be reversible.  You would have to talk to your doctor about that.
my thyroid was treated with radioactive when I was 33  I took  synthroid for years than levothroxin my dosage now is 137mcg my last test came back stim hormone25.500 free t4 .49 and free t3 1.53 what could cause the stim to be so high I know once treated the thyroid does not resurect itself .I am now 71 years old thank jb
diagnosied with hypothyriod- taking synthrod, brand name only 75mg daily, six months straught.  start feeling tired, temporay forgetfulness, facial swelling, appettie loss, hair shedding, most of all digestive system out of wake. and i collaspe, bllod pressure 70/35, hospitlized fro two days, TSH 18,  

now he increased the dosage to 125,synthroid brand name only. I have to wiat for weeks to feel better, get tured by non ech day- look like crap- eyes weak, pale,. How long,  must be something else i an do- special diet,more water, What, I am afraid that I am going to pas out again.   help
Is TSH the only test that's being done?  You need also to have Free T3 and Free T4 tested.  Those are the actual thyroid hormones.  TSH is a pituitary hormone, that fluctuates wildly, and neither causes nor correlates well with, symptoms.

How long have you been on the current dosage of medication?
you probably have hypothyroidism. no big deal if you continue madicine and getting levels checked every now and then. once it is at a normal range you will not have to get it checked as often.
I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism..my tsh level were 177..I was always tired..that was my only symptom...after a month of taking it I'm inpatient ..irritable ..have my menstrual cycle every two weeks..insomnia and when I finally do sleep I sleep all the time..my hair is coming out..I'm a mess after being on Synthyroid for a month..but my tsh levels have lowered to 8...I feel worse..why?
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at 4 years old. I am 25 years old now..my TSH has never been where it needs to be and I have been to several regular doctors and endocrinologists.  I just got lab work back this morning and my TSH level is 461 ..yes you heard me.  This is what I believe to be the highest it has ever been with..the last highest one was about a year ago and lowest that I ever remember it being was 9. So I guess my question is..has anyone else ever had a critical value quite like this and if so besides putting you on high levels on synthroid, what have they done for you??
                                                        Kayla
This is an old, long thread, and you'll get much more attention to your individual concerns if you go to the top of the page, click the orange "Post a Question" button and start your own new thread.

When you do, please tell us if your FREE T3 and FREE T4 have been being tested along with TSH.  If so, please post results with reference ranges.  Ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.  

What thyroid meds do you take, and what is the dose?

When your TSH is that high, do you feel hypo?
I went to the Doctor today for my annual pap, I complained to the doc about feeling horrible all the time and having night sweats, hot flashes, weight gain and rapid weight loss.. I thought it was something like my hormones were outta wack. She mentioned a thyroid test and drew some blood. She said I'd have the results in 1-2 days. Little did i know I'd be getting a phone call the same day, which was her nurse telling me my thyroid is dangerously high... Now I don't really know what the thyroid is so I didn't know what questions to ask her. I asked if it was bad.. she said yes, I asked if it was serious, she said yes and referred me to some endocrinologist..whatever that is.so my question is what the Hell do I do? Is this just some medical gimic to get me to spend more money? Or is it truly a serious condition? Is it worth getting taking care of? Will I really feel better once treated? And is this a life long condition? Is this generally a serious condition? Is lower or higher thyroid worse? (is one worse than the other?)
When you say your thyroid is "high", do you mean that you're hyperthyroid or that your TSH was high?  Please post any results you have.

An endocrinologist is a doctor who specializes in the endocrine system, which includes the thyroid, adrenal glands, diabetes, etc.

I doubt it's a gimic.  If your doctor called you back the same day, your results must have bee pretty farr off normal.

It can be serious if untreated.  Yes, it's worth getting it taken care of.  Whether you are hypothyroid or hyperthyroid, it takes a toll on your whole body.  Whether it's lifelong or not depends on the cause.  Hyper (too high) is more immediately worse than hypo (too low).  When hyper, your heart, among other things, has to work too hard.  Hypo isn't fun. either, but it's rarely fatal unless left untreated.

This is an old, long thread, and you'll get much more attention to your individual concerns if you go to the top of the page, click the orange "Post a Question" button and start your own new thread.  Tell us any lab results you know and tell us how you feel.  

When I wad pregnant with my first child at age 19, I was barely taking my meds and TSH went past 375! After being told I could lose my unborn child because of this, I learned never to miss a thyroid pill!
i was just diagnosed today with hypothyroidism so im still learning about all the terms but my endocrinologist said my counts were the worst he has ever seen. Im at 491 and 0.04!
im 17.  
I am 28 years old married women.
Recently i had blood test done for Thyroid test. I got below levels respectively for my test results.

T3     : 0.70
T4:    : 8.20
TSH  : 52.83

What does these all means. Just 4 months back TSH was 24. Is it i am suffering from hypothyroidism. Currently i have been prescribed by my family physician with Thyroxine Sodium tablets 50 mcg. Will it fine? Can anyone suggest me how i can reduce this disease.

Heen
Most likely it means that you have the most common cause for hypothyroidism, which is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  With Hashi's, the autoimmune system erroneously identifies the thyroid gland as foreign to the body and starts producing antibodies to attack and, over an extended period, destroy the gland.  Along the way, the diminishing ability of the gland to produce thyroid hormone results in increasing levels of TSH, and corresponding diminishing levels of thyroid hormones.  To confirm Hashi's, request Thyroid Peroxidase and Thyroglobulin antibodies tests, usually listed as TPO ab and TG ab.  

To best evaluate your lab test results, please post the reference ranges that go with those results.  Test results and ranges vary from lab to lab, so it is always important to evaluate results against the ranges.  

Also, please tell us about any symptoms you are having.  

So, yes it does appear that you are hypothyroid.  The 50 mcg of Thyroxine Sodium is a good starting dose of thyroid med.  Hashi's cannot be cured, but you can control the effects by taking adequate thyroid med to prevent having symptoms related to hypothyroidism.  As you proceed it will be very important for you to keep in mind that a good thyroid doctor will treat a hypothyroid  patient clinically by testing and adjusting the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4, as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results, and especially not just TSH results.  Many of our members, myself included, say that symptom relief required Free T3 in the upper third of its range and Free T4 around the middle of its range.  

my t3----------------------67
t4---------------------------4.8
tsh-------------------------32

this is my test report what it mean plz reply with your answers
We need to know whether those are Free T3 and T4, or Total T3 and T4.  Also, since test results and their associated ranges vary from one lab to another, it is important to always evaluate test results against the specific reference ranges shown on the lab report.  So, please post the reference ranges  for the above tests.  
I've been tired and 'out of it' for quite some time now at least 6 months but have chalked it up to getting a dog, stress, moving a couple of times, job, organizing a wedding, all the usual 'life' stuff.  

Anyhow I finally went in and got a bunch of blood work - I actually thought I might have lyme disease.  When they came back negative for that I was happy, only to find out they came back 'positive' for hypo.  I'm not sure how one can tell if you actually have a dead thyroid, but that's what my doctor told me (new doctor - hadn't see one in years) based on the following (PS I'm a 29 yo male 6'1 and 195 weight and my blood was drawn at about 9am and I had a small glass of OJ in the system):

T4 Free:      0.3 ng/dl          Reference: 0.8-1.8
TSH:           >150 mIU/L     Reference: 0.4-4.5
T3, Total:     <25 ng/dl         Reference: 76-181
T3, Free      0.6 pg/ml          Reference: 2.3-4.2

She said she was surprised I was walking around with those numbers but I thought she was being dramatic and after doing some research it appears that everyone is different and so she was probably being a bit dramatic, but nonetheless she, on the spot, wrote a script for synthroid to start at 50/day for two weeks and then go to 75/day for 6 weeks then come back for blood work.  She didn't do the test for Hashi's but said she'd do it when I come back in after two months for a follow up.

Thoughts anyone?
Wow, it does appear from your numbers that your body is producing hardly any thyroid hormone, thus leaving you hypothyroid. The numbers of thyroid hormone (T3 and T4) are very far under the normal range, meaning your thyroid is pumping out far less hormone than the body needs to function properly, thus why you doctor declared your thyroid "dead". Your doctor has ordered all the right tests so far, and started you on medication, which is good. It will take at least 6 weeks for any dose adjustment to fully make its way into your system, so just be patient. You should post your next batch of labs when you receive them, though you'll want to consider starting a new thread so we're not just tacking on posts to a very old and very long thread.
Wow.  You win the award for the lowest levels of thyroid hormone I have seen from all the many posts I have read over the last 5+ years.  Glad your doctor has gotten you started on thyroid meds.  

One other thought is that hypo patients frequently find that they are also too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 magnesium, and ferritin.  So, it would be a good idea to get those tested at first opportunity.  
I have that same problem I have had my levothyroxine increased twice in the last month I was taking 2 125mcg pills a day and my level was 15.9 now they increased it again to 2 137mcg pills a day because my level is 39.9 I don't get it.
i hope you managed to get your issues sorted i went for 2 years trying to get to the right doctor you need a thyroid specialist and they will deal from there mine was underactive and i felt crap weight gain the lot i had to have it taken out as cancer but thats not everyone i am on medication for the restof mylife and its getting the balance right and monitoring you tsh levels but this will be explained to you by your specialist so dont worry you will get regular blood tests, my specialist tells me to go by how i feel and i must say i feel great but i do get checked regularly as high tsh is not good good luck :-)
Hi I read your story my daughter is 12 and been tested her result came back her tsh level is elevated 5.4 this is new to us and she is not being treated yet. She gose to see spelist on december 20. But her symptoms our grtting worse sge is extermly tired and always cold and headaches our bad I don't know how to help her till her app. Any advice would help,
You've attached your question to a very old thread and most of the previous posters are no longer active on the forum.  You question would get much more attention if you start a new thread of your own.  You can do that by clicking the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of this page, then after you type you question, click the green "Post a Comment" button.

You can also access the home page of the forum via the following link:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73

Didn't your daughter's doctor start her on any medication, while waiting for the specialist appointment?   Her TSH is elevated, and while not dangerously so, I can see where she might be miserable.  

Were there any tests done, other than TSH?  For instance a Free T3 and/or Free T4?  If so, please post the results and reference ranges.  Was your daughter tested for thyroid antibodies?
I was told I had  Graves Disease 6yrs ago. After many drs and lots of tests they finally used the Radioactive Iodine 131 to kill my thyroid. Well it worked and its been 3months and I feel terrible. My Dr has done changed my synthroid 3x in 6 weeks. My levels went from 0.01 to 97.11 and they didn't give me my T3 or T4 results so all this is new to me and I'm confused. I know about hyper. Hypo is to all over the map to understand. I have been reading people with levels in the 300. So why was my Dr wanting to put me into the hospital for just being 97???? Any help would be wonderful.
This is a very old thread.  It would be best if you go to the top of the page, click the orange "Post a Question" button and start your own new thread.  You'll get more attention that way to your individual concerns.  Please post a lab and medication history when you do that.
Is your baby ok?Healthy and smart?I have tsh 400,and I worry about my baby.
Is that a current TSH, and are you pregnant?
when i pregnant 8 weeks my tsh is 400,i take the medicine ,when 12 weeks,my tsh is 54,how can i do that,i worry about my baby.
Has your doctor increased your meds since it tested at 54?
The doctor increased the medicine from 88mcg to 100mcg,but i worry about my baby.Idon't know what can i do.
All you can do is take your meds and get tested again in about four weeks to see if your dose needs to be raised again.

Did your doctor test anything besides TSH?  T3 or T4?  If so, please post those with reference ranges.
when 16 weeks my tsh is 8,do you think it harm my baby?
I'm not a doctor, and I can't tell you what the risk is to your baby.  However, with a TSH of 8, you should probably increase your meds again.  Also, be sure to ask your doctor to test FREE T3 and FREE T4.  They're much more important than TSH.
My highest tsh was 669. It was the highest my endocrinologist has ever seen.
Why would anyone willingly put a synthetic hormone into their body every day for the rest of their lives when there is a natural alternative?  Armour Thyroid is the safer alternative, IMO
This is a very old thread and NYNY2020 is no longer active on the forum... Many of us take synthetic hormones and do just fine.  I, for one, don't think that desiccated hormones are "natural" either, because they come from pigs and are not identical to what we, as humans, produce.  Not all of us need the amount of T3 present in Armour and other desiccated options, while others do.

I do, however, feel that ALL options for thyroid hormones should be kept open, since we're all individual and we all react differently to different medications.