Thyroid Disorders Community
Dexa scan osteoporosis...question?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Dexa scan osteoporosis...question?

I had a DEXA scan about a month ago that indicated I had very Advanced Osteoporosis. However they indicated I was a 46 year old POST menopausal woman. I am NOT post-menopausal. I have been fighting trying to get therm to correct it...but the underlings there seem to think it would make no difference. My doctor and I disagree. The measurements would remain the same but the severity of the osteoporosis would be higher. Do you agree? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks to all you sweet people!
You are totally right, of course.  The loss of bone density is much higher and faster after menopause then it is in perimenopause or before that.  The readings would make a huge difference to how severe it would be b/c of hormone loss and what was to be expected in the later stages of menopause.
Thank you sooo much for your confirmation. I have been stressing about this for a few weeks when no one (other than you and my doc) would believe me! Even the people working at the imaging center!! Well onto my first Endo appt tomorrow for a magic pill to make all my problems go away. LOL Yeah sure. Prob right back here to cry to all of my new friends that don't even know me. But my only ones since I have been in bed for so long I lost all my work friends...and any others. I do have a great supportive husband. Take Care DLA
You whine away and we'll bring the cheese!  ;-)  

What are they doing to you tomorrow?

Dac
Today was first appt with Endo. She basically reviewed all my previous blood work and Dexa scan as well as other results and background information. She felt my neck and said she felt a "Right TIyroid Nodule" and I am to get an ultrasound ASAP, plus blood work...TSH, VITAMIN D 1,25, VITAMIN D 25-HYDROXY, OSTEOCALCIN and Urine N Telo-peptide. She wants me back in 2 weeks. Oh by the way....I was so shocked. She looked at my previous blood test and she said I have NO FEMALE HORMONE ANY LONGER ....THAT i AM PAST MENOPAUSE!!!!!!!! This is after my PCP checking levels a year or 2 ago and saying I was not yet perimenopause...almost but not just yet. Is there something with the Thyroid that can put you into and thru menopause so quickly with only a handful of hot flashes?

Also, How are YOU feeling today? Better I hope.
Thanks for your comfort.....

Mich
Glad she sounds like she's a good one and really on the ball with your health.  Yeah, for you!  =^)

Thyroid issues can bring on menopause very quickly and my guess would be that with all the other symptoms that go along with thyroid you wouldn't have even noticed the menopause symptoms as anything unusual.  When I'm hypo I have hot flashes and night sweats like nobody's business.  So can totally see how it would go unnoticed.

Well, I look and feel like something the cat threw up, but I'm still among the living.  Mostly.  Part of the time.  Well, occassionally, anyway.  ;-)  Do think I'll live, but may be a while before I'm accepted back into society at this rate.  The bright side is that I am losing weight pretty rapidly.  Not crazy about the way my body is choosing to do that though.  :-P

Take care and let me know what you find out.

Dac