Thyroid Disorders Community
Diagnosed with 1.5 cm thyroid nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Diagnosed with 1.5 cm thyroid nodule

In Jan. 09 I was diagnosed with a nodule on my thyroid.  It was found on an mri I had done on my cervical spine that found several herniated discs as well.   I then went to an endocrinologist who sent me for an ultra sound.  I told him at the time that I had this feeling of a lump in my throat.  He said I wouldn't be able to feel it and it was probably nerves.  The ultra sound showed a 1.5 cm nodule on the right side and another 4.4 mm one there as well.  There are cysts on the left side.   I had the fine needle biopsy done and they did not have enough cells to give a definitive diagnosis of benign, although they favor a benign follicular nodule.   I will be having another ultra sound and biopsy done in early June.  In the meantime, this feeling of a lump in my throat is driving me nuts.   Some days it is worse than other days.  I often choke on food and find I have to eat very slowly.  The pain seems to radiate to my right ear as well.  All my thyroid bloodwork has come out normal.  Am I nuts, or can I really feel this nodule in my throat on the right side or could it be something else?  Thanks  Marlene
Sounds familiar...I have three nodules on the right, one on the left, all 1 cm or larger, and three are in the right lobe, one 2.1 cm.  My biopsy was "benign follicular clusters" but NOT determinant for cancer - that does not mean they aren't cancerous, but only that they could not determine if they are or not. I felt pain up into my ear during the biopsy.  I have decided to have the right lobe removed, it is causing me problems with hoarseness and swallowing, they will not get smaller and I want to make sure they are benign.  I am a singer, so this decision was not made easily, I am hoping that the nodules are the cause of my hoarseness and when they come out, I will be able to sing again.  There is a possibility that I will never sing again, but right now I can't sing anyway, I get too hoarse.   If they are causing you discomfort, at least the large one, have the lobe removed.  Your thyroid should still function, and when they remove the large nodule, they can do a thorough biopsy of the removed nodule, they may still be cancerous.  Do your research and get several opinions, there is so much information on the net these days!
Hi !
You are not crazy!  I just had a total thyroidectomty one month ago. I'm fine, but... for years my blood wok was normal.  Always felt like I had a lump in my throat, had to swallow more often and forget it when I laid back in the dentist's chair - felt like I was choking.  And it also felt and I did sometimes choke on small bites of food along the way.  I had an MRI of the cervical spine after a rear end car accident and that's how they found all my nodules 2 + hears ago.  The endocrinologist watched me carefully doing US and FNA to find that my goitre had grown alot.  Post surgery the size of two baseballs I was told were taken out of me.  Find another endocrinologist and let him/her reevaluate you.  Just because bloodwork comes back normal doesn't mean nothing is wrong.  Oh and BTW, my FNA showed normal left on a large bunch of nodules and follicular carcinoma on the right.  Post surgical full biopsy showed dx as Hashimoto's thyroiditis with multinodular goitre incidental follicular carcinoma!  It's all out, I required nothing but replacement therapy.  And I just wrote about how very tired I am on .5 of Synthroid.  Let me know how you make out when you are reevald.
Thanks so much for the advice.  Your stories sound so familiar.  If my endocrinologist tells me one more time that I can't feel this damn thing and it is my nerves, I will kick him in the pants.  I will keep you updated of my next appointment in June.  Thanks  Marlene
i had an ultrasound on my thyroid after my doctor discovered the left side seemed larger. after ultrasound i have several nodules looked benign on the right but said to follow up with nuclear medicine and endocrinologist because left side is 1.83 cm. so now i go monday for a fine needle biopsy. this was not there is december. what can i expect or what does this mean
Avatar n tn
Just had ultrasound & have nodule of 1.2cm on right side of thyroid. Have had swollen lymph node at base of skull and neck pain for years now. Told dr last year I couldn't sing high notes suddenly, severe fatigue, weight gain - now right adrenal gland at collarbone is swelled up - all this on the right side. They're now scheduling a fine needle biopsy as well as a cortisol test with labs. Anyone else taken this cortisal swab test?. Anyone else have all these symptoms - and what was diagnosis & treatment?  
I had a nodule in my right lobe, which was removed almost 3 years ago.  It was benign so the Dr. decided to leave the left side, which as been producing enough hormone to keep me off meds.  Recently I was experiencing some swallowing problems and spasm in my neck so I went back to the Dr.  He ordered an ultrasound and found a 1.2cm nodule on the left side.  I go for a biopsy at the end of October.  

My other nodule was very fast growing and by the time it was removed it was over 3cm.  I guess I will wait for biopsy results, but I'm not feeling confident that this will lead to surgery as well.