Thyroid Disorders Community
Did you have severe acne and hair growth with Hashimotos?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Basically I have a long list of symptoms and to make a long story short , I have a goiter and the Endocrinologist says I have classic Hashimotos but since my thyroid hasn't quit working and my TSH is very normal at .9, then.5. and last check .3 that there is nothing he can do to help me.  But I am 31 and my acne seems to be worsening.  It's very bad on my chin and jaw line along with what seems to be more hair growth in the same area.  Have any of you experienced this?  

Here are my other symptoms and meds I take
Blood Pressure Meds
Triglyercerides Meds
IBS Meds
OCD Meds
Allergy Injections
occasional Migraine Meds

My mentrual cycle is still regular every month but has shortened in length in the past couple years.   The acne is starting to freak me out though it's getting so bad.  And my endo has checked my hormones, blood levels thoroughly.
oh and also I take heartburn meds too...
I remember getting adult acne for the first time ever, when I was undiagnosed with Hashimoto's disease. It took 15 years + to be diagnosed, but the one thing I always remember was the acne was around the time I started to feel very bad.

I never had any hair growth like yours though, and I do wonder if you have been tested hormonally, correctly? Often other issues like Cushings Syndrome can have hair growth and acne. That is a pituitary gland disorder.

Have you got your lab tests results for your thyroid and the hormone ones? If so can you put the ref ranges too?

I only remember the specific numbers for my TSH (.9, then .5. then .3) he took Free T4 too I believe but said that was in normal range too.  My Freet4 were midlevel.  I remember that.  I didn't actually get a copy.  But the doc also thought I might have Cushing's and checked me for it.  The test came back fine.  It was the Urine test.  However, someone told me that if you don't refridgerate it that that might be a issue.  However, the Lab tech specifically told me not to worry about putting it in the fridge.   It's just so frustrating to have all these symptoms and not have a diagnosable issue.  He said it will be Hashimotos but not yet anything he can do anything about.    He does have to watch my Goiter so I go back in 12 months.  
You do need to ask for copies of your results. By law you are entitled to them
The numbers mean nothing without the reference range, and what is 'normal' to one lab is not with another! So it is important you grab a copy of those tests.

Yes, the urine test needed to be refrigerated! Some lab technicians are not fully trained in the care of some tests.
If you had the 24 hour urine collection it is utterly a waste of time. They need to do the 4 samples over the day and one at midnight. NOT collected in one bottle! The 24 hour one gives an average reading of cortisol, not throughout the day.
It might be better if you saw another endocrinologist for a 2nd opinion. Doctors love being told they are needed for a 2nd opinion! You usually get more tests done!

You need to know your TPO antibodies and Tg Antibodies to know if it is Hashimoto's. All very well telling you this, but unless you have antibodies then you don't know if you have it or not!