Thyroid Disorders Community
Do I have Hypothyroidism?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Do I have Hypothyroidism?

Hi all,

I have had hair loss, constipation, slight sadness, fatigue, dry skin, coldness, weight gain for quite a while now. Was tested for thyroid problems and had these results:

TSH: 7.44
Free T3: 3.44
Free T4: 1.07

Thanks!!
Please post the reference ranges for your FT3 and FT4.  They vary lab to lab, so you have to post them with results.

Your symptoms sound hypo.
Thanks for your comment.

Free T3      3.44     pg/ml   2.00- 4.40
Free T4      1.07     ng/dl     0.93 - 1.70
TSH            7.44    uiu/ml   0.27-4.20
Thanks.

The rule of thumb for FT4 is that it should be around midrange (50%), and yours is at 18%, so quite low.  Rule of thumb for FT3 is upper half to upper third of range.  Your FT3 looks good.  TSH is high, indicating that your pituitary thinks your levels are too low.

With your low FT4 level, you'd probably benefit from meds.  Has your doctor suggested treating you?
Yes my doctor gave me Eltroxin for now, she also ordered a full Lipid test and for acids and CBC or something like that.

Is there anyway that your TSH levels fluctuate for the test or something?

Thank you so much for your help it is really kind, I am currently quite bewildered ;)
It is bewildering at first.

I'm not sure i understand what you mean by TSH levels fluctuating for the test.  TSH tests are quite accurate, but TSH levels fluctuate considerably.  Results can change by as much as 70% just with the time of day the blood was drawn.  

Your FT4 is low, and that's consistent with your high TSH.  However, your FT3 level looks good, which is not consistent.

How much Eltroxin did she start you on?
50mcg tablets.

Yes that was what I was thinking, about them fluctuating you see....

Thanks again x