Do I need to take medication for Hashimoto's Disease (when not feeling any symptoms)
Hi everyone.
I'm a 27yr old female. I have been recently dx with Hashimoto's Disease (w/ hypothyroism). I don't think I have any of symptoms (fatigue that I cannot do my work, gaining weight, etc). However, my blood testing result indicated that I am (I don't know the exact #'s b/c I don't have the medical result paper w/ me). I don't know if I should start taking medication when I don't really feel any symptoms. From reading numerous forum discussions, I have noticed that many people gained weight 15-20 lb in short period time due to medication side effect. This is also another reason why I am hesitant to take the medication. What should I do???
If you can dig up those actual test results, it would be really helpful.  We could comment more specifically.  Please include reference ranges since those vary lab to lab.

There are two different approaches to treating Hashi's.  Some think it's best to treat early (before symptoms) to avoid the worst of the symptoms.  Others feel that bloodwork should be out of range and symptoms present before treating.  You'll find lots of reading on the subject.

Weight gain is not a side effect of the medication, in my opinion.  Thyroid meds take 4-6 weeks to reach full potential in your body.  Very frequently, the initial dose has to be adjusted  (sometimes many times) before an optimal dose is arrived at...each of those adjustments comes with a 4-6 week adjustment period.  Add to that that many doctors treat by the numbers rather than symptoms.  So, what results is that the patient remains hypo for quite some time after starting meds (with some doctors, that stretches into forever) and interprets that as a "side effect", when it's really a direct effect of being hypo.

If you post those results, we can take a further look.