Thyroid Disorders Community
Do you get waves of feeling bad or is it constant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am just curious....  Do you feel like crap all the time, or are there times when you get a wave of not feeling well?  Every day in the early afternoon I get a wave of about 3 hours of being taken over by a feeling of death.  Then all of a sudden it goes away and I feel pretty decent for the rest of the day.  I cant really put my finger on it, but typically it happens about 5 hours after I take my medicine in the morning.

Do you get these waves, or do you feel bad all the time?
yes waves especially when i am hypo. now, they are about 2 or 3 hrs after i eat dinner morning has been good and then yes crash after dinner. it will be better after labs next week will up my dose i guess. crashing right now btw  
I believe that you will get different stories on this topic. I feel good in the morning and have energy, however toward the late afternoon and evening i get hit with extreme exhaustion and other symptoms. I get these waves of feeling woozing for a second or two and then it passes...but boy do they scare the heck out of me especially when i feel as if i have to hold on to something. I will be here all night describing the different types of symptoms i get and only after having the TT and being on Synthroid.
Its weird because a lot of us have the same symptoms yet ive had 2 doctors (both endos) tell me that these are not related to our disease.

I feel better for a while and think "wow the medicine is starting to work".  next thing you know im shaky and very anxious.  Have a weird slight headache, fatigued, and hard to focus.  I dont want anyone to know how bad I feel at work because I fear im going to lose my job if all this keeps up, so I try as hard as I can to get through the bout.  I look forward to my days off like a person in jail doing time.

Some days I feel good most of the time, some days I feel crappy most of the time.  I never know what im going to get.   Sleeping is a luxury as I do not experience my symptoms as often when asleep.
For many, yes, it varies through the day when hypo.

Depending on the severity of your being hypo, the body is in survival mode. And some other hormones and glands may be working overtime to help do what the thyroid is not doing.  Different hormones have peaks and valleys through out the day, and are effected by meals, stress ect. Body chemistry changes throughout the day. So low thyroid can reflect on the even more.  Afternoon was not to good for me when hypo either. Mid morning was best. Early morning - never could predict, unless there was not much sleep.

Starting a new job when thyroid levels are messed up is downright brutal, I know.  Do whatever you need to make it easier - post it notes relieve the memory when hypo!!  I think the last thing you want to do is explain to the boss you have a thyroid issue. You are male, so this will not go over well (I know), a viewpoint the ladies here might not understand. If you need to go to the doctor just say you need to go but its not a big deal. Fact is , companies do not want to hire people with major health problems, so you dont want them to think its major if they ask what the appointment is.

There are natural supplements to help with many hypo symptoms until the meds work - just a band aid remember. You might want to learn about overall body health and symptom relieve - with Hashis this will help.

Diet is a big thing to, If you already eat healthy - good for you, if not, time to start. It helps.
Bruce, that's the nature of an auto-immune disease. I do get those feelings in the afternoon, but for the past few days I've felt great. The only difference is I've had white wine the past two nights. Hmmm. Maybe I'll make a glass of wine my new ritual. Also, I've been doing much better since giving up gluten.

Didn't you have your adrenals checked? I went to the adrenal community and was told that the 24 hour saliva test is the best method.

Just be mindful of what you eat, people! Keep an eating log. Note what you ate and the times you became sick. Be ever mindful of gluten, caffeine, green tea, sugar, corn, dairy, as all can make an auto-immune disease worse....

High protein and veggies. Also, LOW soy, fruits, sugar and carbs has worked for many Hashis. No sugary cereals for breakfast. How about an omlette? A salad with lots of chicken for lunch. Skip the croutons. Roast beef and veggies for dinner.  

I had to give up caffeine and gluten. Luckily, dairy is agreeing with me so far.

Don't forget the vitamins: Low D can make us feel LOUSY. Start with 1,000 IU and work up to 4,00 IU, or just get LOTS of sunshine, at least 1/2 hour daily.Take your B12 and iron. Selenium (200 strength) once daily to fight the antibody attacks. Magnesium three times a day helps with gastro issues and joint pain.

:) Tamra
For the firs time in two years feel more human again.
Eliminated all sugar, dairy, gluten, wheat, legumes and keep carbs to the bare minimum - low glycemic carbs only.  Organic coffe without milk has been found to have a lot of benenfits for metabolism issues etc. My breakfast usually would be a piece of organic beef or meat the size of the palm of my hand, with vegetalbles steamed or lightly cooked.  I blend the meat and vegetables into a paste Have a slice or two of toasted Ezekiel bread and unsalted organic butter - put the meat/veg mush onto the toast I grind organic Hamalyan Salt over all of this.  Organic Coffee mixed with Stevia and a tablespoon of organic coconut oil.  Snack later on a plum, berries or nuts that was soaked according to guidelines as per Nourishing Traditions Cookbook. Lunch a salad with Avocado, onions, garlic, and whatever works for you, dinner will have a potato boiled in skin with butter or Ezekiel toasted bread.  Red wine I am told is good to have at meals but with Candida problems I ignore that.  If no Candida OK to have one block of Organic dark chocolate with 72% and higher cocoa levels.  The benefits of Coconut up to thee or 5 table spoons per day is huge - google and you will see - good to keep your thyroid and many levels healthy.  I do find that rainy, damp and humid days impact on me and that purely is because of the Candida levels.  Keeping the colon healthy is also of great importance.  We all can share but each of our bodies are different.  I take 75 mcg of T 4 on odd days of the month and 100mcg of T4 on even days of the month with 5 mcg of T3 daily. I take this around 3am when I usually have a bathroom walk at night.   I also use a cocktail made up of 1 ampule of each of Thyreoidea and Lymphomyosot and take 0.5cc per day taken in the evenings - the only supplements I use is Glutathyon and MSM.  for some reason Vitamin D and Calcium makes me feel ill when taken - mistery to me as to why this would be the case.  I intorduced the T3 a short while ago on the advice of Goolara and must say by day 4 the body aches and especially the shoulder and neck pain has gone - am far more flexible in the gym as well.  First thing in the morning I take a glass of warm water mixed with colon cleanse - drink a second glass of warm water - done before breakfast.  I have just learnt to say I live with this condition and not that I suffer from it and I connect with what is up for me that day - bad days I have a Pajama day at home if possible and meditate, do yoga and by the way Qigong for three mintues each morning with jumping and strong movement or just dancing around activates the lymphatic system and energetically helps one a lot.  EVen better if you have a small trampoline at home - you can find loads of info on youtube about this as well.

Blessings all the way from Asia
i so feel for you when you talk about your job.  for over ten years i had to fake feeling ok at work. i am an lcsw and did crisis intervention and brief treatment/case management in a hospital and so had to look perfect to represent the hospital when in fact i felt so sick. never found out what was wrong with me until eight months ago- i feared something awful. i finally had to retire early and go on ssdi and blamed it on being leagally blind but now i know it was really because i was so sick with hypothyroidism. i look back on my labs with their NORMAL values and cringe. i did everything to appear fine at work and learned to fake it good. GOD BLESS YOU and keep you safe at work.  at least you KNOW what is wrong i wish i had known.
I usually crash mid afternoon... and definitely have good n bad days.... just started my synthroid and the first day made me sick as all but its getting better and hopefully Ill get lucky and start at the right dose.... I made my doctor test my thyroid and he did it just to appease me my tsh levels were 7.59 he said what if I told you you do have an issue.... I was ecstatic to know... not because Im sick but because I know and I wasn't just being silly.... afterwards it set in and I was no longer so happy... anyways Good Luck and hope you get to feeling better
Its a long hard road out of this hell
hi i have graves and yes  it's like something take's over my body i can be great one min than out of the blue feel like crap.it use to happen every day but now i can be feeling great for atleast 4 week's than bang i feel crap for about 3 day's  than i feel great again.only one thing i'am greatful for the 4 week's of feeling good it's been such a long road i tought i would never get to the end of it.i no not out of the wood's yet but feel like i'am geting their xxx
Hi I find it also depends on the climate - damp, rainy and humid days make me feel crappy and my body aches a lot, sunny warmer days and not toooo humid is the best.  Days can be cold but sunlight does make me feel more chirpy and upbeat.  I now many are not in favour of sunbeds but during winter time I find that going for about one session per week really does help me and spending time in a sauna as well.

But hey I keep on saying - this is a conditon I live my life with because I do not want to say I suffer from it even though many days do feel crappy - but LOL somehow saying I live with the condition makes me feel that I am in control and not the condition - LOL perhaps one day one of us will be able to break the code and discover how to rid ourselves of all the frustration that goes along with this condition.
Hey guys my name is Nicol, Iam kind of glad i came across your articles
I also get waves of sickness like iam going to drop dead and in like an hr ill feel better i had my thyroid checked several times and they say there is nothing wrong with it this was not done just by on dr. It gets annoying Not knowing what its is i did get iron transfusions because my iron was way low and i only absorbing half not all.But it feels like i am being atacked by some illness that has its own schudel. feel great then out of no were i m going to die,at time if i start feel out of sort ill eat then it subsides.but not all the time.I feel like the doctors think iam crazy .I know i never was like this before but for the last year or to i have been ill.any insight would be great full.just want to add that i do not take any kid of med for anything.
Nicol,

Have you had your doctors check your tpo antibodies?  What are your symptoms?  You say you feel Ill, how exactly?
Have you tried Synthroid Brand???? I found myself having to switch very early on....
I have thought I was dying for the past 4 years. I was already disabled from a severe wreck. Then I was too exhausted to get up and dress. I felt as if my blood was on fire. I already (from wreck) suffered from: TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury), which led to an intractable Seizure Disorder, my neck was broken and fused over 4 vertebrae (C3-6); Fibromyalgia;Spinal Cord Injuries (SCIs); a tear in my brain from the impact called an Upper Motor Neuron Lesion (UMNL); drop foot on the right; severe spinal arthritis and ankylosying spondylitis of the spine; detached retina rt. Eye, near blindness, x2 surgery in that eyeball; and chronic pain. I think that about wraps up the injuries/conditions from the wreck (oh - and tininitis, hearing loss from the head injury. OK. THEN, suddenly, I cannot get dressed, as I am to fatigued. I feel as if my blood is on fire. I tell my internist many, many times over 4 years, and it is discovered I have Crohn's Disease. On 2 occasions my blood AMAs come back with tigers of 360 and ds DNA (double-stranded DNA, both markers for SLE, Systemic Lupus Ereythemetosis). For the entire 4 years, with the exception of perhaps a month scattered throughout - I am not exaggerating - I get up, put on my housecoat, feed the dog and cat, move to the couch, and sic Hurd later, go to bed. I shower twice a month, barely able to tolerate the pain of the water on my flaming skin. I also suffer horrible joint pain. I have to take OxyContin for chronic and joint pain, which one weekend last month got so bad I asked my son to take me to Urgent Care. All these years my doc never ran standard blood tests, only whatever I asked him, in desperation, to run. He sat there, smirking at me and taking the insurance payments. Urgent Care ran standard blood tests and found I had almost no thyroid.left and started me on Levothyroxide. Almost a month layer, I am starting to feel a smidgen of energy but still have to see a Rheumatologist because of the lupus markers. I am furious at my doctor. He effectively forced me to guess what might be wrong, tell him what to do,.and left me to suffer. Maybe he is not even a doctor.
Im realizing now that my waves are from the t3 kicking in from the armour.  looks like people either get this crap or they don't.  I happen to be one of the lucky ones.
nothing ever changes even without a thyroid gland.  I take my meds and then once they kick in and peak out, i feel agitated, ears ring, shaky irritable and i have to lay down.  Then as the day progresses I start to feel better.  Does it ever end?
I don't think I ever feel "good".  I feel functional at moments, but most of the time I am just living a health nightmare.
great..   a lot to look forward to.
at this point i don't care if i feel "good"   i just don't want to feel "horrible"   ilke i do now.   "fair"  is acceptable.
I would settle for fair lol.  I am just happy when I can get out of bed and move around without a myriad of symptoms.  Once a month or so this happens sigh.
oh my this is so discouraging... thiis is all AFTER being medicated for a while, guys? =( I haven't started treatment yet... oh my.
you may do just fine.  The majority of people don't have these issues.  Only the select lucky ones....

speaking for danielle and myself, we have some pretty extreme stuff.  In my particular case, the pain was so bad i could not swallow.  I felt like i had a piece of meat stuck in my throat.  I didnt have any nodules or anything like that, just really bad hashimotos.   My ears ring pretty bad.

I cannot tell if it is an adjustment period or if this is how its going to be here forward, but when i take my thyroid , about 4-5 hours later i have a pretty bad anxiety set in.  Its like the t3 is peaking and the t4 is turning into t3 which is a little too much for me to handle.

There are posts all over the internet about people that have the same thing, but no one ever comes on and says "oh hey,  I had some whacky stuff but I'm coming back on to tell you I'm fine now" because they are too busy enjoying their lives!
Bruce -- are you packed for your trip yet?  Forget the ringing ears; I've told you, I've had that for most of  my life and learned to live with it; the more stress I'm under, or the more I concentrate on it, the worse it gets.
I'm not sure if you have had your thyroid removed or not, but either way, Bruce is correct when he says that most people do fine when they reach optimal levels.  I might even feel fine yet too!  I had my thyroid removed in August after switching from hypo to hyper until I finally just stayed hyper.  I have still not reached normal levels so I am hoping for better days to come.
Thanks Bruce (and Danie). No haven't have it removed and I am subclinical hypo. I should stop pr-freaking out even before I get treatment and just wait and see how it goes... But I guess it's good to understand what might happen so I can participate in the process effectively and understand whatever is my dr. Prescribes. Hope you guys feel better...

I certainly will come back to share if my treatment works... Hope everyone did the same.
I'm packed mother Barb :)

Its not just a ringing.   Its a ringing, anxiety, exhaustion, irritability that comes on around 5 hours after taking the meds, then goes away.  Im not like this all the time.  In fact most of the time i feel pretty good.   I wonder if when i get optimized this will go away.

ON a brighter note - I did follow Dannies lead and had my thyroid removed.  I have zero pain now in my neck, i can swallow, feels good to swallow.  Like instead of having a piece of meat in my throat all the time, i have some ice cream with chocolate syrup on it....   :)
I can't recall from all the other threads.  Have you had a 24 hour saliva or urine cortisol test done.  Also, how about testosterone levels?  I'm just shooting in the dark here.
Mother Barb, here....... lol  So glad you got packed and hope you are ready to go......

I understand the ringing, anxiety, exhaustion, irritability that comes with it......  hopefully, that's still some hypo, but see good things happen, too -- you  have no more neck pain... the rest should follow.

Weren't you on hydrocortisone at one time?  Why did you stop it?  Additionally, I seem to remember something about testosterone as well.  Are you still on that?

But forget all of this for the next week, okay?
LOL

Gimel and Barb,

My testosterone was low.  It was 200, 215, 250 etc.  ranges 400-800.  I get a weekly shot but i don't overdo it.  I just get a small amount which is 100 ML.  It keeps me around 450 testosterone.  It certainly gives me energy and has helped me "immensely"  (haha get it?)

I was on HC at one point but the only one that was low was the midnight one.  I honestly didnt need any, but i was desperate to do anything so i was taking it.  I didnt really notice any difference on it.

Do you think its time for another urine cortisol?  is this the one where you carry the jug around for 24 hours?
A jug?  I suppose so, but it sounds so unscientific that way.  Why not the "sanitary collection container" or something other than "jug"?
Lol..when I went to mayo everyone carried around the orange jugs...
I was diagnosed with Post partum thyroiditis and have battled it since November. They thought all along that i just had a bad anxiety disorder. I got put in the ER for a rapid hr and they found out my thyroid levels were crazy! I had a baby in August so that triggered all of my symptoms...I have a good week then have horrible ones..my body has internal tremors and I feel so week and tired :(
i thought you were fabolous???? what happened?
me?
ok have no clue as to what is going on with me. 3 years taking 0.25, then all of a sudden up to 0.50 and six weeks later still not there 0.75. 3 days into taking the 0.75 I felt like I was on DOPE, tremors, hot, cold, no appetite, doc says go back down to 0.50 so I did, 2 weeks later, not feeling well after taking meds in the AM, still shaking, feel like passing out at times, stomach upset, sluggish, feel like I need more sleep when I just woke up. I am so tripping on this med, should I take at night? CRAZY IN TEXAS
For anyone to give a meaningful reply, we really need more info from you.  What specific med are you taking?  Please post your thyroid test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.
also where in texas are you?
Some of the symptoms are hyper, I am hyper at the moment, I experience occassional shakes, feel like passing out (dizzy), hot, feel like I need more sleep, when I just woke up, Etc....  I agree with gimel for further assistance.  

My symptoms are daily, someday's I feel fine, while other day's, I prefer not to get out of bed.  For example, fatigue.  One day or two I wake up feeling productive, then my body will crash ! rest for a day, vice versa.  Prior to TT, I was completely flat out unfunctional.    

What minor symptoms I have now after TT swing alot on a daily basis, as if trying to find balance.  

Dont mess with Texas!
I have the same issues as you.  Before my TT, I was nonfunctional.  I could barely leave my house.  After the TT, I am getting better I think.  I have good days and bad days.  Sometimes my hands will start shaking and I swear I am hyper, but it might be followed by later in that day major hypo symptoms.  I feel like I switch back and forth daily.  Even my body temperature fluctuates severely.  Yesterday my temp was 95 (really).  I felt horrible and tired.  Today I had more energy and my temp was 98.  Hmmm.
I get my blood drawn tomorrow so I will know where I am.  
Hi everyone. Do you think these "waves" (or attacks as I like to call them!) might have anything to do with dosage adjustment? I was overmedicated a few months ago, and have finally been put on a reduced dosage (as of 5 weeks ago). I had hardcore hyper symptoms initially, but they are slowly waning off. Still not a 100% though. Some symptoms I have all the time, mainly visual snow and tinnitus, but others - such as a weird drunken balance issue - doesn't hit until a random point during the day. It's not consistent at all. I feel intercranial pressure and my vision will get blurry and my stomach will become so bloated I can't breathe. I've done every test under the sun and it looks like my systems ARE in working order (eyes, heart, kidneys, etc. are all working fine), so I can only conclude that this is related to the dosage being stabilized in my blood. At least I hope so. My endocrinologist also doesn't think these symptoms are thyroid related, and yet they only started happening when I was overmedicated!? Even the healthcare professionals taking care of us don't understand how it affects us...
When I was on Levoxyl I had weird feelings, almost like I was looking at the world thru a mirror or something, . But I'm on Armour now, and I'm very close to being adjusted right, and I don't believe I had that feeling while on Armour. I do know when I eat the wrong food ( like my bran muffins) to close to the time I took my Armour I would feel almost a bit hypo I'd start retaining water, so when I take my meds I wait at least 1 hr before I have my morning coffee, and at least 1 1/2 to two hrs before I eat, then I feel prettty good all day. I feel this Armour is a pretty good blessing for me. I think the space between taking our med and eating is very important, seems theres alot of foods and vit that raise problems with our meds, so spacing is important. there's sure alot to get use to,
Bruce do you take your meds all at once? I used to take my Armour first thing in the morning, I would take it at around 5 and then I'd go back to sleep for a couple of hours, but I noticed I kind of went a little hyper it seemed, once it kicked in. I'd have a rush of energy, and then around 5pm I'd start really slowing down, and I noticed i'd kind of get this erritating feelings in my legs,  not relaxed, more agatated feeling, so now I devide my dose, and I have more of a consistant energy, and I don't have that feeling in my legs and I'm not tired any more.