Thyroid Disorders Community
Do you have a Mother and/or Grandmother with thyroid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am just curious how many have a Mother and or Grandmother that is affected with hypo/hyper?

While we are at it what about other family members?

I am told my grandmother had a goitre, but I don't know about meds.

One of my sisters tested low after giving birth but seems to be ok now.

I'm the only one we know of in my family with overt thyroid failure.  Mine  happened in my late 20s/early 30s.
My Mother and 2 of her 3 brothers are all Hypo , her mother wasn't but her grandmother had a large scar on her neck so we think she had some sort of thyroid related surgery all of us diagnosed in at 39 years old.
my older sister and brother have both been hypothyroid for over 20 yrs.

my brother tells me our paternal grandmother was aswell, but I'm not sure if he's right as no-one else knows about thi.

both our parents are dead, my sister thinks my Dad might have had undiagnosed hypothyroid. my Mum died such a long time ago, when I was really  little, no-one really had a clue what happened to her, it was a whole medical disaster with no real answers and by the time I was old enough to ask for her records, they'd been destroyed.  I can't help wondering if some of my issues might have something to do with what was wrong with her but I'll never know and I'm probably over thinking it.
My grandmother and grandfather on oposite sides of the family had Hypo my grandmother also wound up getting celiacs which she passed away from.  I have hyper and graves
My dad had Hashimotos, so do I and two of my brothers.  I had papillary cancer and a thyroidectomy, I told my sisters to get tested, one also had Pap cancer, one has nodules that are being watched, she also has Graves disease.  Does thyroid disease run in families?  5 of 9 of my siblings and I have some form of thyroid disease, and my dad, too.  
Yes it can have a hereditary link.

My Grandmother on mothers side has hypo.  Her sister has celiacs and thats all I know of.  Her husband has had 2 heart attacks and I have been reading so much that it can be related to hypo.
My Grandmother on Fathers side was killed in a car accident with a train but makes me wonder what caused her to get in that accident.  And the only thing I remember him telling me the few times I ever saw him was be careful all the women on that side tend to gain weight so that makes me wonder also.
My Brother feels he has a problem, I think my mother has a problem, and my other brother I think may have Graves.  But my family is stubborn and uninsured so probably never know.
Grandmother on Father's side had Graves also thyroid cancer. Sister has Graves. My Mother was Hypo don't know if it was Hasti's or not. I'm Hypo non hasti's.  
I have mother, father and both grandmothers. My mom is the only one that I know of with Hashimotos like me. My sister was just checked and she may have too.
When do you worry about your kids having it? Do you guys get them tested?
Can they tell? I have a 1,4 and 8 year old.
My mother has graves disease and I have Hashimotos.
My maternal grandmother was on meds for her thyroid and my Mom had part or all of her thyroid removed for non-cancerous growths and is now on thyroid meds.
Forgot to mention I only suspect I have a thyroid condition and I suspect it strongly in my siblings as well.
My mother, and 2 sisters have thyroid issues. We suspect my now deceased maternal grandmother may have had it. My father was adopted so we don't know his side.
My mother has had a thyroid problem for over 20 years. She's hypo now. My brother is hypo with Hashis. I'm hyper. But my brother started as hyper... interesting to see which direction I go...  
My maternal grandmother had non cancerous growths and had thyroid removed (it has since grown back).  She had her thyroid removed in the 80's (which made her in her 40's)

My paternal great aunt had her thyroid removed (not sure why - she died when I was young and not many of the family knew why we just saw the scar).

I (19 yr old female) have recently had just over half of my thyroid removed because of a few painful nodules which were 3cm in diameter.  

So thats our story not sure of anyone else with thyroid problems.
My mother's sister was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism when she was 11 years old and got very sick. She had a total thyroidectomy back then, she's 60 now. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid after having my daughter 18 years ago and then two years ago the nodule showed up that was cancer.  I wonder and worry about my own daughter.  
My mother and her mother did as well as her sister - all had goiters.  Mom & Granny never had biopsies or surgery (not sure if my grandmother had meds even).  Maternal aunt takes nothing at this time, but is hypo with a small amt. of enlargement.  My mother's was so large she couldn't wear t-shirts because of the feeling of being choked, but she was never diagnosed or treated - we were told after her death.

My sister is now being watched for goiter / hypo symptoms.  

Mine was cancerous (papillary) and removed last May.
Forgot to mention.  I suspect my aunt on my Mom's side has thyroid issues.
I was just diagnosed with Graves'.  My mom had it when she was 30. My brother is getting tested to see if he has it. He's got some of the same symptoms.  I think my mom's mother had it and was never diagnosed.  She had anxiety and turned to drinking, and died around 40.
yes my mother is hypo
My family is filled with us hypo folks and one hyper, My sister. She always did have to be the contrary one.

Anyways, my grandmother had thyroid cancer, hypothyroidism. She has 8 children, out of those 8 6 have hypothyroidism. My dad, his mom, does not have thyroid disease, but does have a benign tumor on his adrenal, and I do believe those 2(thyroid and adrenals) are strongly related.

Besides the 6 aunts and uncles, there are many of their children, ( my cousins) that have hypothyroidism. So it is rampant in my family.

And the crazy thing is, I didn't know it was prevalent in my family until I found out I had it.
My Mum was Hypo for 27 years then it just kicked back in and started working, my aunts and some cousins are Hypo and Hyper..
My mother has hypo and my maternal grandmother as well and so do I. So far my sister tests normal but who knows what lies ahead.
My great grandmother had Graves' and the goiter.  Her two sisters had TED , one went blind.  There are now 6 cousins that have Graves' Disease.  I am the only one in my immediate family.
I was diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer in 1979.

My paternal grandmother and her sister had Thyroid disease. One of my dad's sisters has Thyroid disease and Celiac disease.  One of my mom's sisters has Thyroid disease.
My Mum's hypo, and I am too. She was diagnosed in her 60s but I was early 40s.
My mom, her sister, and I have Hashimoto's.
Maternal grandma had thyroid removed, reason unknown by the rest of her family.
Father had thyroid removed 40 years ago, and I don't know why.
Four maternal cousins diagnosed hypothyroid with goiter and antibody tests pending.

:) Tamra
My nanna had Hypothyroidism, had her thyroid removed, radioaactive dye, and meds for many years. I have Coeliac and lots of thyroid symptoms. But all my blood tests come back normal. Will see gp tomorrow and get him to test for hypothyroidism, makes heaps of sense to me, as my autoimmune system is in over drive at the moment. Hives, shingles, lactos intolerance, fructose malab, SIBO, Coeliac, flu, restless legs, tired all the time, tired when I go to bed, tired when I wake up etc etc,,,what do you all think.
Just because your thyroid test results are within the so-called "normal" range does not mean they are adequate for YOU.  The ranges are far too broad.  Many members here, myself included, report that hypo symptom relief for them required that Free T3 was adjusted into the upper third of its range and Free T4 adjusted to around the midpoint of its range.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and Total T4), as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.   You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this link to a letter written by a good thyroid doctor.  

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

When you go in tomorrow for testing, I suggest that you should request tests for Free T3 and Free T4, along with TSH.  If the doctor resists and makes excuses as to why that is not necessary, just insist on it and don't take no for an answer.  Other tests that would be advisable are Vitamin A, D, B12, iron/ferritin, zinc, selenium, and RBC magnesium.  If you have not been tested for the thyroid antibodies, TPO ab and TG ab, that would also be a good idea.  

When your lab report is available, please get a copy and post results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.  
OK, so my TPO is 66. MY ANA is 160 speckled. The doctors still refuse to test T4 and T3. I will be looking eldewhere. They are now thinking I am going through menopause.
OK so follow up to doctors appt. Am not going through menopause. Will be seeking new advice after 16th JAnuary, with a dr that has HAshimotos herself....have on good advice she knows what she is doing.
Merry xmas.