Thyroid Disorders Community
Does Hashimoto's Disease cause the EBV virus to resurface?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am 33 years old and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease a year and a half ago.  I have been taking 150m/c of synthroid daily with great success.  However, about 3 weeks ago, I returned to work after a 3 month leave of absence from giving birth to my third child.  I had a very mild cold during that first week and thought I was having hot flashes.  I would wake in the middle of the night in a pool of sweat and get really hot then cold during the day.  I finally took my temperature and started paying closer attention to the spells of hot/cold.  Turns out, I was running a low-grade fever - daily.  This continued for 3 weeks.  I finally went to the doctor and he has diagnosed me with mono after doing the mono test and a full panel blood work.  I have been feeling tired,  but then again, I just returned to work, have a teen-age son in football, a 20month old and a 4 month old.  I figured I had good reasons to be tired :-)  I had a severe case of mono in highschool and thought that it wouldn't flare up again.  I am getting mis-information on the internet - some say you can get it again, some say you can't. Other than the fever and the fatigue at the end of the day, I have no other symptoms.  
My question is - is it possible that the symptoms and tiredness are not going to get any worse?  Because right now, I can function - I'm tired, yes - but functioning.  When I had mono in high school, I couldn't function for at least a week.  I'm worried that the bulk of the illness hasn't started yet.
I'm also beginning to wonder if there is a link between the two diseases (mono and Hashimoto's)

Any insight would be appreciated.
There is a link and it is directly related to the immune system. I feel Laura1967 - the other Co Leader here can certainly shed better light on this with personal experience than I can and her daughter also just was Dx'd with EBV

Please allow her to post here along with others that have thoughts and if you don't see here post - please message her directly.

Hi there....I too had EBV and mono as a child. I then was reactivated 6 years ago and then was diagnosed with Hashi's after that.
The New England Journal of medicince has proved EBV as one of the causative factors of Hashimoto's.
A good timeline for how long it takes EBV to burn out is approx 7 yrs my endo said, from each activation. Some it takes longer....and some sooner.
Some people are lucky that thye never ever have a relapse.....others of us not so lucky.
My daughter was also activated EBV 2 yrs ago......3 months ago she was started on thyroid meds. Just coincedence???? No way.  
I hope you feel better soon, but there is absolutley no rushing it....get plenty of rest and take your vitamins/minerals and eat well and healthy. Do whatever you can to support your immune system.  :)