Thyroid Disorders Community
Does Having a total thyroidectomy cause you to be vitamin D and Vitamin...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Does Having a total thyroidectomy cause you to be vitamin D and Vitamin B12 deficient?

I had a total thyroidectomy and 7 months later i was diagnosed withLivedo reticularis and Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 deficiency. What causes this?
I'd look into celiac disease, which is a very common cause of B12 deficiency.
I don't think thyroid and these deficiencies is directly related.... but may be something autoimmune going on, causing both thyroid and other problems.
No it doesn't. You will usually be deficient before having a TT but it often not picked up till after surgery as they look to make sure you are getting calcium. Vit D's job is to help the calcium absorb as parathyroids often get damaged in a TT.
  Vegetarians are often low in Vit B12. Perhaps you need to look at your diet and see if you are missing any foods which may help you.
Vit D is common in auto-immune diseases.
I had a TT 15yrs ago and just last year I had to take B12 shots along with prescription Vit D.

Now I just take B12 OTC.
I have just had a TT and am still very sore. I have brusing and swelling. I still have parathyroids and still taking calcium. I am hoping to get off some of my meds.

How are all of you?
Finally got an appointment with dermatologist tomorrow morning to find out whats causeing the Livedo Reticularis. I was told they usually do a skin biopsy which gives them the answer as to whats wrong. I also have an appointment with my endocrinologist on Monday. Will let ya'll know what they say. Thank you for the comments.
Went to dermatologist and alot of good that did, he said "yep, you have livedo reticularis (already knew that). It will go away" he says and I am thinking really I have had it now for 8 months and it hasn't gone away yet. I tell him my neurologist sent me there so he could find out whats causing it. He said " nothings causing it. I say aren't you going to run any test to find out why it suddenly showed up. He says okay we will run a ANA, Lipids, CMP and a inflammation test. Call me Friday.

I'm like how many Quacks do I have to keep running across, before I find someone who knows what they are doing?
My thyroid is intact, though I do have Hashi's/hypo -- I was dx'd with b12 deficiency - pernicious BEFORE the thyroid issues surfaced........
Test came back negative except for cholesterol-242 and LDL-150.    My Endocrinologist said that guy must be nuts and He told me to come in Monday and he will run the test to find out what is causing the Livedo Reticularis. He said even people with Lupus and many other autoimmune diseases can have a negative ANA and ESR.
Hi Iris- I have been doing some research and from what I am finding out is when they take your thyroid your ability to make the intrinsic factor in your stomach to be able to absorb vit B12 also goes.  I had a TT last March due to cancer and I am now feeling the effects of serious B12 deficeincy including migraines which are debilitating.  I would look into this more if you are interested.  Since your intestines can not absorb the B12 supplements will not do you very much good- you need shots or sublingual tabs to get it into your body.  Hope that helps some!

Nicole
I was looking this issue up just last night on the internet and what I found is that 48 out of 116 people with thyroid disease were found to be Vit B 12 deficient. My husband has Hasti's and has to take B 12 injections. I'm waiting for my labs to come back to see if I am lacking also because I have all the symptoms. I am non Hasti's.
Here's the link if anyone is interested. My percentages stated above are a tad off but close. It's a hypo thing! lol! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18655403
I have hyperthyroid for the past 5 mths and they want to remove it because I also have atrial fib with my heart.  I've had a heart ablation and was to have another and they found problems with my thyroid.  I'm very concerned about the weight issue afterward - I've never had a weight problem.  Also some people are saying up to 6 mths recovery.  Can anyone give me some infor on this.
Have you been tested for Graves Disease? (TSI blood test? )
I have Graves..went what you are going through and eventually had RAI and thyroidiectomy and havent looked back since.
Read my early journals if you want.
I was deficient in B12 and Vit, B after RAI and TT.

Prior to that, I had never considered myself deficient as I eat properly and get plenty of sunshine in the garden (hours on end to be exact).
I am now on Calcium/Vit, D and B12 capsules daily at night.