Thyroid Disorders Community
Does Synthroid affect the liver or kidneys?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Was wondering if Synthroid affects the liver or kidneys and how harsh this drug is.
I just started Synthroid and my husband takes it as well.
Why do you take Synthroid? Hashimoto's? You should know if this is the cause because Hashi is NOT just a thyroid issue but an auto-immune issue.

Untreated hypothyroidism can cause the kidney and liver to become sluggish, and is far worse than not taking the pills.

:) Tamra
And, technically, Synthroid is not a drug. Drugs cure disease and illness.

Synthroid mimics thyroid hormone. It cures nothing. Its a body- consumable synthetic hormone, as are all other brands of thyroid replacement hormones.

LM
TamraW:
Yes, I have Hashimoto's and am aware of it being an autoimmune disease. I was just diagnosed with Lymes disease as well. Either I got my neurological and arthritic problems from the Lymes or the Lymes set off rhuematoid arthritis and something with my nerves. They don't know that yet.

LazyMoose:
I know Syntroid is a hormone, but everything someone put in their bodies has to be filtered through the liver and the kidneys. I am wondering how Synthroid is filtered.

Thyroid replacement hormone goes into your blood, and blood gets filtered. But if hormone got filtered out, you would die.

The T4 (thyroxine) is changed to the active hormone T3 (triiodothyroninevia) mostly in the  the liver and hypothalamus, and brain. This process is a called two deiodinases (or something like that)..... One atom of iodine is lost per molecule (deiodinated) - thus, the change from 4 to 3.

T3 is absorbed into cell tissue via blood. It dosent get filtered out, your cells consume it. What ever waste is left over, I imagine is the same waste from your own thyroid hormone.

If you are afraid from it being synthetic, (I would not), you can always try dessicated. Personally if synthetic works for you, I think its a wise choice to stay on it due to availability and consistency.

I never heard from anyone here who's liver was shot, but I imagine they would not convert well, if at all. Is that part of how hard core drinkers die if they 'kill' their liver? One can only assume.
Interesting. Thanks!