Does Synthroid affect the liver or kidneys?
Was wondering if Synthroid affects the liver or kidneys and how harsh this drug is.
I just started Synthroid and my husband takes it as well.
Why do you take Synthroid? Hashimoto's? You should know if this is the cause because Hashi is NOT just a thyroid issue but an auto-immune issue.

Untreated hypothyroidism can cause the kidney and liver to become sluggish, and is far worse than not taking the pills.

:) Tamra
And, technically, Synthroid is not a drug. Drugs cure disease and illness.

Synthroid mimics thyroid hormone. It cures nothing. Its a body- consumable synthetic hormone, as are all other brands of thyroid replacement hormones.

LM
TamraW:
Yes, I have Hashimoto's and am aware of it being an autoimmune disease. I was just diagnosed with Lymes disease as well. Either I got my neurological and arthritic problems from the Lymes or the Lymes set off rhuematoid arthritis and something with my nerves. They don't know that yet.

LazyMoose:
I know Syntroid is a hormone, but everything someone put in their bodies has to be filtered through the liver and the kidneys. I am wondering how Synthroid is filtered.

Thyroid replacement hormone goes into your blood, and blood gets filtered. But if hormone got filtered out, you would die.

The T4 (thyroxine) is changed to the active hormone T3 (triiodothyroninevia) mostly in the  the liver and hypothalamus, and brain. This process is a called two deiodinases (or something like that)..... One atom of iodine is lost per molecule (deiodinated) - thus, the change from 4 to 3.

T3 is absorbed into cell tissue via blood. It dosent get filtered out, your cells consume it. What ever waste is left over, I imagine is the same waste from your own thyroid hormone.

If you are afraid from it being synthetic, (I would not), you can always try dessicated. Personally if synthetic works for you, I think its a wise choice to stay on it due to availability and consistency.

I never heard from anyone here who's liver was shot, but I imagine they would not convert well, if at all. Is that part of how hard core drinkers die if they 'kill' their liver? One can only assume.
Interesting. Thanks!
I have never had issues with my liver...Until yesterday ...Had a TT Jan 7/2016 due to papillary thyroid cancer...Been on synthroid since....I take no other pharmaceuticals or tylonel or advil....All natural...My liver enzymes are at 116...Dr cancelled out hep a b and c...I am sure it's thyroid related...Waiting on Endo appt at end of this month finally after a year wait....I have not had any alcohol since Oct/2015...And prior was a social drinker...
Just to get an idea of your treatment, please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  Also, please tell us about any symptoms you have.
Meant to also ask what is your dosage of Synthroid?