Aa
A
A
Close
Does having a thyroidectomy remedy Graves Disease?
I had a total thyroidectomy in 1997 due to Graves Disease.  Since, I have undergone numerous health issues.  I feel like a puzzle, doctors don't seem to know how to solve me.  I can't help but wonder if the Graves Disease is a factor.  Help please.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
649848 tn?1484935765
Graves Disease is an autoimmune condition and once you have it, you have it for life... A thyroidectomy would put it into remission; however, it would also make you hypo and in need of replacement thyroid hormones, since you no longer have a thyroid to produce them.  

Many doctors don't understand the importance of making sure thyroid hormones are balanced after the thyroidectomy...

If you'll post your current thyroid hormone levels so we can see where you are, we'll be able to better comment on your situation.  You should be getting tested periodically, for Free T3, Free T4 and TSH to make sure your treatment is satisfactory.  Be sure to include reference ranges, with any lab results, since ranges vary from lab to lab and have to come from your own report.

Also, please tell us what replacement thyroid hormone medication you're on, what dosage and how long you've been on it.  Please tell us what symptoms you have.

You're not obligated to tell us, but it might also be helpful for us to know some of your other health issues because of lot of conditions have the same/similar symptoms as hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources