Does hypothyroidism run in the family?
My 9 year old son has a TSH level of 54 and now I am wondering if we should check out 11 year son? He is not tired or cold all the time like his brother... but has been heavy since about age 4.

it can run in families.  ANyway, there is no harm in getting it checked.  it's just a simple blood test.
I agree . It runs in families. You may want to also read about adolescent thyroid disorders and really understand the information out there.

In many cases - children - because of a variety of changes in their bodies can look like a thyroid disorder is present but can balance out on and off as they grow. Medicating a child on one test given can stall thyroid function normally and it could result in permanent issues - if they are not tracked differently.

In our society - children's diets can be the culprit of their abnormal levels. I would do some heavy research on these issues and see if you find any connection first before assuming thyroid treatment is needed.

It does run in the family, the fact is that...alot of people do not know their family history and it can go undetected.