Thyroid Disorders Community
Does this sound like Hyperparathyroidism?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hey.

I posted yesterday, but since reading around on the internet I'm getting a bit of an inclination that what I have may not be hyperthyroidism--but parahypothyroidism.  Here's the story:

I'm a 25 year old male and have a history of depression and anxiety as well as a family history of it as well.  For the longest time I've been chalking up whatever tiny physical ailments I have (trouble staying asleep, feeling a bit out of it, headaches) to manifestations of those.  But, last year I got a blood test done and my blood calcium came back a bit high (i'd say mid 10's) it got retested again and was in the normal range, but low 10's.  Then, I got it retested (since it was high those other two times) and again in the low 10's.  I waited a year until I got health insurance and went to the doctor a few days ago to get everything all re-tested to see if everything righted itself and it didn't.  Again, my blood calcium was 10.3.  Other non-normal blood results were: WBC 3.1, Creatinine was 0.79 and Albumin was 7.6.

I should have the parathyroid test back tomorrow, but kind of wanted to gauge opinion on here in the meantime.  I actually in a way hope that it's this and that the ailments I have been feeling for 10 (ish) years would be alleviated because of it.  What do you guys think?  Thanks a lot!
forgot to say that I had a TSH 3rd generation test done and that came back normal as well at 0.63

Thanks.
I replied on your other post, but I know that in younger individual (under 30) higher calcium levels are usually normal.  It is good you are testing your pth just to be sure, but I'd still be suspicious of hyperthyroidism due to the anxiety and tsh.  What was the norm that your lab uses for tsh?  If it's .5 you are very close to being hyper.  Some people feel okay at this level, but others like myself feel horrible and very hyper.  If you have graves disease, this can fluctuate and at the time of your blood draw it might not have shown up.  I would DEFINITELY get antibody testing for hashimoto's or graves.  I have hashimoto's toxicosis so I go back and forth between hypo and hyper all the time.  I also have horrible anxiety when these fluctuations occur.  Also, hyperthyroidism will raise your calcium levels.
Also mental fog, trouble sleeping and headaches could all be symptoms of thyroid issues.  I'd definitely explore things a little further if I were you.  Good Luck.
i'm talking more about parahyperthyroidism in my post.  different stuff that I have read have said similar things to what you have said (if you're under 30 your calcium can be a bit higher than 10).  but, i should be getting back my parathyroid tests today and if those are high then that is the culprit, i guess.
Well if you are confident that it is not hyperthyroidism then by all means do what you must.  In my opinion though, regardless of what your pth shows, your tsh is very close to the edge of being hyper, and with all of your symptoms, you need further exploration.  Tsh changes all of the time and it you have thyroid antibodies, you possibly have hashimoto's or graves.  
Also I would recommend having your free t3 and t4 tested.  Others on here could interpret that, and they often are a better indicator of what is really going on.
so, here's my update.

PTH came back at 24--totally not high.  the doctor also told me that he adjusted my blood calcium based on the albumin and that makes my blood calcium 9.2 instead of 10.3.  Kind of a little confused as to which I should be going by here.  I have an appointment with a different doctor on friday (since these tests that i've been talking about were done at emergency medical and not a PCP) and I am going to ask him about all the stuff that is going on.  But, to me it looks as though I don't have hyperparathyroidism--but, i will bring up hyperthyroidism to the doctor on Friday and see what he thinks.  Any more comments would be welcomed, definitely.
The problem with thyroid issues is that just because the test comes out "normal" it does not mean you do not have a disease.  Many of us have "normal" tsh for years, while we suffer tremendously.  This is why it is important to get the free t3, free t4, and the antibodies tested.  Any time you are on the outer edge or normal for thyroid disease, with the symptoms that suggest you might have it, it is wise to get further testing. A lot of docs will let it go, but you have to be persistent with your own health.  If your read around the forum you will see most of us have had to struggle to get a proper diagnosis.  My own tsh reads normal at times and then the next month it is way off the charts.  It's a disease that is not always easy to diagnose, but something you should really pursue.  Good Luck.
I have an appointment with a doctor who should be my new PCP and I am going to push testing me for hyperthyroidism and ask him to do the free t3 and free t4 to rule everything out.  I just picked up blood work that I had done about a year ago, and while there isn't a blood calcium on it, they did test my TSH and that was 1.47 which is better than it was on the last test.  but, like you said, that isn't the best test to determine hyperthyroidism.  If the t3 and t4 come back good, then it's definitely not hyperthyroidism, right?  Also, how fast does this start happening?  Is it likely that my thyroid could have not been a problem and then within the last year and a half or so began acting up and making me have symptoms?  If there are any other tests you would recommend me ask for, please let me know.  Thanks a bunch.
So, got my results back from my T3 and T4 and the doctor said they are normal.  So, uh, what the hell is up with me?  haha.  TSH was a little low on that one test, but the better indicative testing was fine.  He even did some sort of urine test that came back fine as well.  I don't have the numbers on me right now--but i'll post them soon.  So, 10.3 calcium and no thyroid problems.  Time to move on to a different cause, is the calcium okay being that high for now seeing as i'm only 25?  Any answers?
Hmm.. post your results in a new thread and have the others look at them.  Post your lab results and your lab's normal ranges! The others on here are way better at deciphering these things.  I know other the adrenal glands can also cause anxiety or anxiety could simply be causing your problems.  If you have an autoimmune type of thyroid diseases however they fluctuate normal all of the time.  I am scheduled to have my thyroid removed (it is really bad) but mine even runs normal half of the time.  Also, the normal ranges are not very reliable.  Post your results and see what the others come up with!  I hope you find some help!  Good Luck.