Thyroid Disorders Community
Does thyroid affect vision?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Does thyroid affect vision?

Was just wondering if your thyroid levels can affect your vision.  I'm asking because it seems here lately that my eyesight has gotten worse.  I'm near-sighted and need glasses for everything, also wear bifocals.  Vision has gotten blurry-er lately.  Oh, and I had my eyes checked year & 1/2 ago before thyroid went all wonky.
yup It is one of the side effects.I am just now getting back to normal eyesight after restarting my cytomel back in Dec.Now I am going to be off meds again to get ready for RAI and I hope it wont be so bad this time.Oh well.
Love Venora
Thanks, that helps a lot.  I think I'll postpone eye exam until after I see endo and we get to the bottom of this - whenever that will be.
Hi, My eyesite has been blurry on and off for 2 months now and yup it is a side effect. I just so happened to have an eye appointment 3 weeks ago and eye doc said it was ok and would probably return to normal after surgery and meds. so hang in there....
Lisa
I HAD RAI 2 YEARS AGO AND MY EYESITE NOT BETTER ALOT OF PRESSURE DRYNESS IN AND OUT OF EYES ALSO BLURRY. MY THYROID NOT CONTROL. VERY FRUSTRATED.
Every month my whole body is getting worse. I have like flu like symptoms every now and again and today I feel my eye sight is making me dizzy, plus blurry is this normal with thyroid problems
I am glad I came across this one, I have been going to the eye doctor at least every six months and have spent around 600. dollars on glasses, my eye doctor keeps telling me that it is a focus muscle that weakens as you get older and and it seems mine gets weaker every six months or so and I have to have new glasses, and now I am seeing that my thyroid may be the cause of my eye problems. I had total thyroid removed about 10 years ago, I found back in November of 2011 that I had some returning cancer, and had to have I131 Ablation therapy in April of 2012, am now waiting for six months to see what happens next, but anyway, now I see here that my vision more than likely is due to my thyroid. so thank you all for the information, I really thank all of you how post on here, it has helped me in so many ways. thank you all
from a worried mamaw