Thyroid Disorders Community
Does your thyroid move, when swallowing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

To me, that sounds like an odd question. lol

Graveslady and I were talking about this and so, had to ask.

When I tilt my head back and swallow, my thyroid moves up (in the swallow) and back down when I complete the swallow. I simply assumed this is how it is supposed to react, correct?
My whole throat moves up when swallowing and I have no thyroid so I'd expect if you had a thyroid it would move as well.
Avatar n tn
I am a speech pathologist in the medical setting and we work with patients who have swallowing problems.  The thyroid is around the larynx, and in basic terms, the larynx rises and falls during a swallow.  This movement (along with other anatomical processes) is what allows the food and liquid to go down the esophagus into the stomach as opposed to down the trachea into the lungs (aka, "the wrong pipe").
     So, when the larynx moves, in essence the thyroid rises and falls as well, as it surrounds the larynx.  You may have read in these forums that some people complain of difficulty swallowing and wonder if it is related to a thyroid disorder (goiter or nodules, etc).  I believe that since the thyroid is so near in proximity to the larynx, which helps us swallow effeciently, then yes, certain thyroid disorders could cause swallowing disorders (also known as dysphagia).
     Sorry to be so long!
Thank you! It's good to have you on board.
This is what I thought. I will be going to my ENT the 5th of February. Hopefully he'll shed more light on my problems.