Donating plasma
I was recently diagnosed with low thyroid. I was donating plasma and the Dr. said I needed to find out if was a type that would not let me donate. I went back to the VA Hospital where is was diagnosed. They told me there was no test to determine if I was autoimmune. To me I thought this was ludicrious. Giving plasma was a secondary income for me. How do I find out on what type of thyroid problem I have TY
You should have TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibodies) and TGab (thyroglobulin antibodies).  If you have Hashi's (autoimmune hypothydoidism), one or the other or both of these will be positive.  These are considered definitive test for Hashi's.  

In addition, it's unlikely since you are hypo, but if there is any suspicion of Graves' (hyper), you should also have TSI tested (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin).  Graves' is also an autoimmune condition.

Hashi's is the most prevalent cause of hypo in the developed world.
Thank you very much.I dont think the doctor wanted to perform the extra tests,but I think the lab would have the results yes
If you are hypo, it is a very good idea to get TPOab and TGab, which will identify the cause of your hypo and give you a better idea of how to expect the disease to progress.  It's something you should have done for you, anyway.  Do you think they may already have run the antibody tests and the lab has the results?  If so, then you can call them and find out.  If you have a positive antibody test, you will have antibodies for life, except in cases with extenuating circumstances.
If you have an autoimmune disease...you will not be able to donate plasma..sorry to say :o(
Hi I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism October 28th. I have a small knot in my thyroid gland test was done that I may have a virus or inflammation or infection that may cause it to swell but has nothing to do with my hormones. I have hyperthyroidism symptoms I'm not yet began treatment for this disease. In another week I'm seeing a Endurologist. Can you help me better understand what's going on with me? Plasma was also my second income would I still be able to donate still?