Thyroid Disorders Community
Double vision during pregnancy. Was I taking too much Levothroid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I was diagnosed in oct of 2011 with graves and took RAI. A couple of months later in dec I found out I was pregnant.  My tsh levels were ALWAYS less than 0.01 during pregnancy and even after I gave birth. In may my right eye started to cross giving me double vision when I woke up each morning. As the days went by it just got worse. Eventually my right eye is permanently crossed giving me double vision all the time and my left eyes lower lid is a little lower than normal. When I close my eyes, my left eye lid won't completely close. I had to go on prednisone orally and then my ophthalmologist told me to take it through IV for 6 wks to prevent blindness. I also have to take glaucoma (high pressure) drops for my eyes. was it ok for my endocrinologist to have kept my tsh so low (less than 0.01) throughout my entire pregnancy? Maybe that's why my eyes turned out like this because my medicine (Levothroid) was too high of a dosage during and even after pregnancy. Has anyone else had the same Problems as I do? Has anyone sued their doctor for medical malpractice such as drug overdosing? Thx for your time.
I addressed this on the other thread you posted on, but will do it again, here.

TSH is not the determining factor when deciding thyroid hormone levels, though many doctors use it, as such.  You need also to have the Free T3 and Free T4 tests.  Those are the actual thyroid hormones and their levels would determine whether or not you were over medicated.

I don't know of anyone who has sued their doctor for medical malpractice for this.  We aren't legal experts, so you would need to consult an attorney; however, just off the top of my head, I'd say that if you don't have Free T3 and Free T4 tests to prove you were actually over medicated, you wouldn't get very far, because it's not uncommon for some of us to maintain suppressed TSH level.  Mine has been < 0.01 for the past 4 years.