Thyroid Disorders Community
Drains after surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Drains after surgery?

Is it standard to have drains when you awaken from surgery? My surgeon mentioned them but didn't explain at great lenght about them.
Perfectly normal - I had them after both surgeries - they prevent heamatomas.  They usually stay in about 3-5 days.  Mildly uncomfortably on removal.
Jennifer
Lots of people had drains for about 24 hours after surgery.  My surgeon mentioned one, but I was surprised not to have one when I woke up.  When I asked about it the next day, the doctor said there was very little bleeding so he didn't feel the need for one, which was just fine by me.

Guess it depends on the surgeon and your specific circumstances.
My surgeon uses a harmonic scalpel that cauterizes as she cuts.  I didn't have a drain for either of my surgeries and neither did my sisters or daughter (all with the same surgeon).
I had one drain and was so out of it the first day I never knew it was there .. it did hurt when the removed it .. they say there are sev. diff. types the surgeon chooses and mine, of course, was like a fish hook but that is the least of all you go thru.

My surgery will be one year on Jan. 7th .. hard to believe it!

Cheryl
Avatar n tn
I had one for my surgery on the 5th and it was the thing I was most nervous about.  No need to be!  I barely noticed it the night I was in the hospital and had it removed the next morning (about 18 hours after surgery).  I really didn't feel it at all when they pulled it out!  I think it was good to have because my swelling was greatly reduced with it.  Good luck!
Avatar n tn
I did not have a drain after surgery, and I had no problems with swelling.. Good luck!