THYROID DISORDERS
COMMUNITY
Dry throat and hyperthyroidism
by berky, Feb 19, 2007
Hi, I just went through a 6 week bout with hyperthyroidism. The Doctor thinks it was iodine-induced hyperthyroidism (Jod-Basedow) after I consumed a large quantity of iodine drops and also painting my wrists and throat with iodine to ward off a cold. I'm on my 7th week and feel fine now and my thyroid levels are back in the normal range. I went through hell the first few weeks and gradually got better. The doctor did not prescribe any meds and all I took was 300 mg of magnesium at night which really controled the palpitaions and hearet rate. The only thing reamining is this dry, irritating throat. It started around the 2nd week of the hyperthyroidism and it's been 5 weeks now since I had it. There seems to be no swelling, goiter or lumps just really dry and like there is phlegm or something stuck in there. I have to keep on clearing my throat. I've tried humidifiers and drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Also on the onset of the hyperthyroidism I had a bout of bronchitis which took about 3 weeks to clear. I see an endrocrinologist on Mar 1. So I hope he can help with the throat. Thank you for any input.
Member Comments (20)
by berky, Feb 19, 2007
I know what you mean about the sticking sensation in your throat. Drinking water does help a bit and it feels better for awhile after I eat . When I touch the area there is no pain just a ticklish sensation and a slight feeling of weakness in the body with a bit of lightheadedness. It also bothers me if I wear a turtle neck or cover my neck.There is a mild intermittment pain sometimes on either side but only lasts a few minutes. But some days it is better. Maybe it is some inflammation still clearing up. I'm so happy all those other horrible symptoms are gone. It was a real nightmare to go through that. All my blood tests are now good, my blood pressure is really good and pulse back down to my normal range of 60 beats p/minute. My antibodies are good (negative) so there is no auto-immune problems. I'm glad I found this forum.
by berky, Feb 19, 2007
There are family members with hypothyroidism and on thyroid hormones. One of my nieces who is only 16 years old. And my sister had a bout with hyperthyroidism after she gave birth to her second child. Other than that there may be other family members as they are overweight although they don't eat that much.I've been encouraging them to get their thyroids checked.As for me I am slim and active. I have always been slim no matter what I ate. I was also taking tons of supplements for weight training and cardio training. Stuff that I found out increases the metabolism. I wonder if that also may have been a factor. I was using it for more energy to do my workouts. Now all I take is the magnesium before bed. As far as other symptoms most of them are all gone. I had all the major ones...racing heart, palpitations, extreme anxiety out of no where, confusion, temor, fever, hot spells, tolerence to cold, sever fatigue, sore eyes and vision problems, breathlessness...it was awful. I may have went through a brief hypo last week as I had these major chills, and lack of appetite. But this week  it all cleared up except for the throat which is very annoying.I hope your throat gets better too. Thanks.

by GravesLady, Feb 19, 2007
berky

I never heard of such a thing as iodine for colds. Infections, yes and throat, maybe.  I would think you'd have to congest an awful lot of iodine and for a long time, longer than a cold would last.  If its from  cold, why not V-C, zinc every few hours, as well as other vitamins/minerals and old fashioned chicken soup. A little bandy at night for the throat if its from a cold, as well as herbal tea with honey and lemon.  When congested with a cold I use to put vicks vaporub  on my chest and put a towel over it to help keep the generated heat in and keep it off my PJ and crank up the electric blanket.  Also rubbed it on my feet  and put on socks.  All this will help sweat, and I mean sweat, out all the cold germs.

Now you might suffer the consequences of iodine.

Hard to tell what the Endo. will do. Physically palpitate your neck/throat/thyroid. If he doesn't feels something off he'll probably do more test, but it he doesn't feel anything he'll probably send you on your way and back to you general physician.

Just my personal opinion and/or experience. Always discuss your health issue with your doctor , always adhere to your doctors advise and, you always have the right to a second opinion. Nothing is a 100% or a 100%, 100% of the time. However, we are not all alike!

GL,
1990 - Hyper/Graves'
1997 - Dia/RAI
1997 - MVP - Mitral Valve Prolapse
1999 - TED - slight Thyroid Eye Disease, one eye only
1999 -  Visible Nodule (suspect Marine-Lenhart-Syndrom/hyperfunctioning nodule)
2000 - SAD  - Short Attention Disorder/Span
2002 -  IED  - Intermittent Explosive Disorder (Graves' Range)
by berky, Feb 19, 2007
Hi Graves Lady
Thank you for your input. I read about the iodine from some natural health sites as well as home remedy articles.They say to paint your wrists and neck with iodine to stop a cold or bronchitis. I now think this is a dangerous practice as the iodine is absorbed into the skin and directly into your bloodstream. The night I did that just before bed caused me to awaken gasping for air with a bad allergic reaction which caused me to end up in the ER. Everything happened from that moment on. Now I know that excess iodine can trigger hyperthyroidism. Any way I will never do that again. Did you have any throat problems? Thank you.
by hypo/hyper, Feb 19, 2007
I had a MRI with contrast back in August.  A couple weeks after that exposure, I started having hyperthyroid symptoms.  Palps, anxiety, panic attacks, wt. loss, eye problems.  Then after about 2 months, it switched to all hypothyroid symptoms.  I went undiagnosed until mid January after I went to an ENT for "throat problems".  I felt like I was being strangled, dry throat, constantly trying to clear it.  He did an ultrasound which showed an enlarged thyroid with 3 nodules.  I then had an uptake scan done which showed that one of those nodules was "hot".  Endo told me I had thyroiditis, but never told me what type or what my treatment plan was going to be.  I have continued to cycle between having hypo/hyper symptoms since. My next appointment with endo is in March with a different doctor.
I definitely know how you are feeling with the throat thing.  It started out as a minor annoyance, but since my thyroid has continued to get larger, it is absolutely miserable.  My PCP wrote it off as post nasal drip, thank God for a great ENT, or I probably would still be undiagnosed.  My advice?  Keep a drink handy.  I drink so much, because if I don't, my throat feels like it is sticking together.  Do you have any discomfort around your throat as far as if you touch it?  Do you have any other symptoms?  Any thyroid problems in your family?  Just curious!  Take care.
by abl, Feb 20, 2007
Hi you!

It has been my experience that no one here knows a thing about Iodine, as far as how it can help the body and naturopathic cures.  I am pasting a website here for you to check out.  Also, if you join the iodine group, you will get emails from every topic regarding Iodine (good and bad), and can get answers to all of your questions.  Many of them have done the iodine painting for one problem or another and still do the painting, and some of them are in teh medical profession, so they might be better able to explain what happened, or at the very least share a simliar problem.  Anyway, I totally get, and am with you on trying to cure without prescription drugs, since those don't cure anything, however, I would be more careful with Iodine.  

How much did you take?  and also, did you have hyperthyroidism before this?  

take care,
abl

by abl, Feb 20, 2007
I'm sure it would help if I actually posted the website...huh?

http://www.iodine4health.com/
by berky, Feb 20, 2007
I took a lot of iodine. I painted both wrists with four layers of the red iodine and my throat with the clear stuff as well and 3 days of iodine drops before that..20 drops 3 times a day. I also discovered that I was taking a new supplement that had iodine in it as well as kelp and Vital greens. That is lot lot for someone who did not use any table salt before and stayed away from processed foods. The night I did the painting I woke up shortly after falling asleep with a severe reaction which ended me up in the ER and that is also when the hyper began. I also developed huge rashes on my wrists. Thank God I am alright now but it took 6 weeks. Also my throat is better today too. I was told that iodine-induced hyperthyroidism takes on average 10 to 12 weeks to clear. I have been iodine free or iodine low cause there are trace amounts in vegetables and even meat for 7 weeks now. Not everyone is alike as some are more sensitive to certain things than others. As far as the iodine I am convinced this is what caused the reaction and the bout with hyperthyroidism.
by abl, Feb 20, 2007
Wow!!!!

I have never heard of anyone taking 20 drops a day, 3x's a day!!!  Good God, the highest I have usually heard of is like 3-6 drops of Lugol's 3'xs a day.  I am so glad you are okay now!!!  And sorry I can't help with the dry throat question, unless it were also related to heartburn or regirgitation.

Take care and can I ask, where did you hear to take that much Lugol's.  If it's from a book, it could be a major misprint!!!

abl