Thyroid Disorders Community
Ear ringing worse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Ear ringing worse

With the longevity of my medication, my ear ringing is worse.  I have now been on naturethroid for 4 months and the ringing on the left side of my ear and face is really gotten out of hand.  Its a weird buzzing and almost a slight nausea that comes along with it when its really bad.   This all started when all my other thyroid crap started 3 years ago and as my thyroid has declined, the ringing has increased.

I have heard that some people eventually get rid of this, but when?  Is there any hope for this?  If i take thyroid i need it but it makes it worse.   its a bad vicious circle.

does any one else have this ear ringing?  I can't freakin take it any more.  
I'm sure you've done lots of research on your condition, just curious to know if you asked the specialist about the outcome if you have a thyroidectomy. Will it take away the tinnitus?? I copied and pasted this little bit of info for you, which you are more than likely aware of already.

Hypothyroidism

The thyroid gland, located in the neck, produces a hormone called thyroxine. A lack of thyroxine causes body tissues to become puffy. When this puffiness affects the ears, it can cause hearing loss and tinnitus.

Causes of tinnitus include:

Hearing loss
Excessive noise
Ear infections
Foreign object
Ear wax buildup
Fluid build up
Ototoxic medications (hundreds of prescription drugs including aspirin, anti-inflammatories, and antibiotics)
Meniere's disease
Acoustic neuroma  
TMJ dysfunction
Anaemia
A thyroid imbalance
Head injuries or neck injuries
High blood pressure
Allergies
Red wine, cheese and chocolate
Systematic yeast infection (candida)
Dietary deficiencies:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin C  
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
- Choline
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Magnesium  
- Iron  
- Potassium  
- Sodium  
- Zinc  
Looking at that list it appears that everyone is likely to have tinnitus.   LOL
LOL!
Remember that inside the ear there are very small hair.  I think in some training I took as I'm exposed to construction noise and we have to take hearing training. I seem to recall that loud noise can cause the hair in the ear to essentially fall over or be damaged.  And we all know how a loud noise can make your ears ring for some time afterward.

Since hair loss is associated with Hypo.  I wonder if it is possible that these small hairs inside the ear could be lost damaged or not quite right.  And that is what could be a cause for the ear ringing.  

One would hope with the proper amount of Thyroid that the hair would regrow.

I have for my whole life have a constant background ringing of my ears.  My TSH is good 1.58 (0.36-4.67) and my FT4 is towards the bottom of the range 0.80 (0.75-1.54) but the Dr's won't give me any thryoid meds.  

Changing Dr's soon. but have not been seen yet.
are you an Iraq war vet?
Sorry but after 18yrs of thyroid issues.

The ringing still comes and goes for me....
do you eat alot of canned soups?
have you been checked for gulf war syndrome?
tranquilizers give me ear ringing. and vitamin E helps but dark green leafy greens even work better.  just a comment, that's all.  
haha..   this is funny.  I don't think I've ever seen Gimel with a sense of humor before LOL .

If that list was true, everyone in my family would be ringing off the walls from the wine, cheese and chocolate.

Kevin-  No I'm not a iraqi war veteren.  Im just some skinny jewish guy from new orleans that has only fired a gun once at a tin can when i was in the 5th grade trying to be GI JOE.

BLNSVD-  I agree with that statement you wrote and also with what flying fool wrote.  Whats weird is when i take my meds, my ears get all stuffed up and the ears ring.  Its simultaneous (sp?).  I take the meds and then my ears get clogged and ring.

I am looking at having my mercury fillings replaced in case this might be the culprit.

I have only met 4 other hashi's out there with this problem.  We are all friends trying to figure this out together...  it *****!!!
I have Hasti, and I am legally deaf. Three years ago I had extensive tests done and it was ruled out to be anything genetic. I notice sometimes I can hear a bit better then other times. The hearing loss started when I was in my twenties or earlier...looking back though, I think I was Hypo at puberty.
When my thyroid gets close to being better I notice I can hear better. .
Mia
when i take the thyroid, my ears clog up.  that causes them to ring.
At times, we have to be our own doc's...because in certain situations, they are clueless. Don't give up!
In that case, mine clog up too but at any given time and that sometimes triggers a panic attack. I have ringing every now and again but only lasts for a few minutes at a time.
So you have never seen any humor from me before?  Well, then you haven't read my posts often enough.  I could almost be a sit down comedian.

How about this?  I've often wondered why with all that ear ringing, you didn't just answer the call and then hang up.  Maybe the caller would go away.
Candida yeast/fungal overgrowth can cause ringing in the ears.  Just a thought!
Mel  HAHA!!  you are killing me.  With all that knowledge you have of thyroid disease, combined with your great sense of humor, you should be a "stand up endocrinologist".   LOL
Not possible.  The Endo profession seems to require a blood oath to the "Immaculate TSH Belief" and unquestioned allegiance to "Reference Range Endocrinology".  I could only be a rogue Endo, constantly anxious about my fellow members putting out a contract on me for not toeing the line.
you should have all the members on here chip in and get you a membership to the endocrine society of america for the sole purpose of "s7it stirring".   It would be you and Mary Shoman.  Wouldn't that be interesting.
She's not my type.  Can't I have another alternative?
LOL

janie balthorpe..
ok how did we get on this subject....   Hey I know..  Maybe we can come out with a "women of thyroid disease" calendar.   I can think of a few that id like to see in that myself.  

anyway,  enough fun.  back to work.    My ears ring, and I'm starting to fall into the "mercury fillings possibly causing it" trap.
Sorry, don't have an answer to your question.  I have tinnitus bad, for approx 6 yrs !!!  I'm so used to the ringing, if it disappeared, I'd still hear it.    
ajws6 = what is your diagnosis?
No diagnosis yet, enlarged thyroid, docs still trying to figure out.