Early Pregnancy and low thyroid
Hi Everyone,
My wife is pregnancy by 7 weeks 6 days. We went for a scan and blood test and found that everything with the baby is so far good and my wife has low Thyroid. And the doctor's reaction freaked me out. She said with this low Thyroid, baby's brain will be under developed.

Her test results:
Free T4 - 0.63 ng/dL
TSH -      15.67 micro IU/mL

Is this statement true? We are very much worried about this. My wife already had low thyroid and she was taking Thyronorm tablets and stopped 5 months back. The doctor asked us to continue with that. she suggested one 100mg per day. She did not tell us whether taking this tablet will bring everything under control. LEt me know if we have to consult some other doctor related to thyroid.

your wife should not have stopped her thyronorm 5 months back.  What dose was she on at that time?

Yes, she needs to be back on thyroid meds asap.  Whatever her previous dose was I would be increasing at least by 25 to 50 mcg for the new dose.  Then she needs to be tested every 4 weeks for the rest of the pregnancy and her meds need to be adjusted accordingly to keep the TSH < 2 (target about 1) AND more importantly the FT4 should be kept right at the top of the range.

Your wife is in early pregnancy so if this is properly managed your baby should be fine.  But agressive management is very important.

Seeing an endocrinologist experienced in dealing with pregnant patients would be ideal.

You are welcome to send me a message if you need more info on this.
She has continued taking the 100 mcg dosage like she was taking 5 months back. We were advised to consult endocrinologist (as you have said) before we increase her dose.
Meanwhile, is this something completely curable and can we make it normal if dosage is taken as advised? curable for the baby I mean.
Yes, if properly managed the baby should be fine.  How soon can she see the endocrinologist?  It is normal to increase the thryoid meds immediately that the pregnancy is confirmed.  That's why I said her dose should be 25 - 50 mcg higher than the previous dose.  Anyway, most important is that she is back on meds and will be seen by an endo soon.