Thyroid Disorders Community
Elevated parathyroid hormone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Elevated parathyroid hormone

I am seeing a neurologist for myoclinic jerking, fatigue and npanned weight loss and one of the labs he ran was a parathyroid hormone level.

The test came back flagged as High with a level of 88. Calcium is normal. I have heard when the parathyroid level is higher, usually the calcium level is outside the normal range. The only explanation the neurologist gave me was that it was high but not that high and really didnt tell me anything except follow up with my PCP.

Anyone had results like this or could anyone offer any information?
Lori, get an ultrasound to see if you have thyroid nodules. Those can leak and cause the weight loss. Low D will lead to osteoporosis if left untreated.

When I finally got my D over the mark to a 42, my PTH went to its highest at 71, so my old endo was sure I had a parathyroid problem.

My new doctor tells me that Hashi patients have poor conversion because many of us have leaky gut syndrome: http://www.leakygut.co.uk/

He says my D should be above 80, but current standards say above 35. Last summer, after I sunbathed every day for at least an hour and took D pills, my PTH finally went down and stayed down. I consulted with the world's leading parathyroid surgeon and he said I didn't have parathyroid disease.

I don't know my D scores for last summer, but I'm sure they had to be above 60. This is why I'm sure D is related to PTH and calcium. My new endo says he's seen many cases where low D in Hashimoto's patients can cause PTH and calcium to rise.

I have eliminated gluten, corn, soy, most dairy and cut back on yeast and sugar to combat my leaky gut and help with D and other vitamin conversion. I have many Hahi friends who've found success in following a gluten-free, processed food-free, low sugar, no soy, dairy, diet. Sounds drastic, but I can't begin to tell you how much BETTER I feel.

Hashi patients are deficient in MANY vitamins.I make sure to also keep up with calcium, magnesium, selenium, A, E, B12, C, fish oil and I take probiotics for my stomach.

:) Tamra
When my vitamin D levels were low, my PTH went up a little. Yours is slightly high. I did consult with a parathryoid surgeon and he had me run my labs, PTH and ionized/serum calcium weekly for three weeks. Sometimes my calcium was slightly high and at others my calcium was normal.

Turned out I have Hashimoto's, which caused the low D, which in turn caused the PTH to spike. This I found out four months later after I asked my old and clueless endo to run my Tgab and TPOab for Hashimoto's. The doctor had previously run TSH, which was normal. Don't fall into that trap. TSH is a pituitary hormone and should NEVER be used to diagnose thyroid disease.

With Hashi you can have fatigue and weight loss or gain. I don't know what myoclinic jerking is.

Best of luck...
:) Tamra
I can't believe I ran across this posting!  I used to have both high PTH and high calcium serum. My endo got my calcium regulated but my Vit.D was extremely low at 8.5. I now have osteoporosis. When my D went so low, my parathyroid was normal but as I was taking high doses of D my PTH went higher which is the opposite of what's supposed to happen. My doctor can't figure that one out.?? Now I have high PTH 88 (same as MICrazy) and I just found out I have Hashimoto's. I also have jerking and my weight has gone nuts!  I first lost 50lbs without trying and then gained it back and then some eating less than I had been before.  

:) Tamra
Finally someone else who was as confused as I am. the jerking is driving me nuts and happens every few minutes in arms, legs and shoulders. This whole process is slow with this doctor and that doctor. I had a positive babinki reflex in both feet that I have read always signifies a neurological problem but my neuro said he thought my reflexes were fine.. ugggh. now with these test results I am back to my primary care doc.

Ive never heard of Hashi so I will have to do some reading. What kind of doctor do you see?

Thanks for the info. it helps to get other perspectives from people who know
I see an endo who treats my thyroid levels, but I also see a holistic team of doctors (chiropractors) who treat my underlying auto-immunity. I have never felt better! :) Tamra
Sometimes Hashi patients can have unexplained weight loss when we get thyroid nodules that leak hormone. I would swing  back and forth from weight loss to weight gain. Paranoia and anxiety to depression. Constipation to diarrhea. Shaky, jaw pain, eye pain, rashes, leg and foot cramping, brain fog, migraines. fatigue, heart palps, loud ringing or pounding in ears, dry skin, hair loss, GERD, heartburn, chest pain, arm pain, and many more issues!

People with Graves disease typically do not swing back and forth and are just losing weight, anxiety, heart palps, ear and eye pain, etc...

The tests for Hashimoto's (DO not let a doctor give you only one as you only need one positive score) TGab and TPOab antibody tests.

For Graves, you will need the TSI.

:) Tamra
Thank you Tamra! I have had so many of those symptoms. I havent gained weight though but I can't keep weight on no matter how much I eat. I also have migraines, anxiety, bowel problems, along with the fatigue and other symptoms. This info has been so helpful to me. My primary care doc will be calling Monday so it will be good to be informed when I talk to her
Tamra- I am on the same diet as you and take the same vitamins.
MICrazy - Do you also have little muscle twiches all over or pins & needles?
             - Go see an Endocronologist
             If you have problems with Vit.D they take care of that.

I'm still VERY confused! On top of everything else I have chronic Lymes disease and am going for a lumber puncture to see if any of my neurological symtoms (symptoms) are due to Lymes in my brain. Yuk! The thought of possibly having parasites in my brain really freak me out!

I'm seeing my edno next week and hope that she'll give me a repeat ultra sound of my thyroid. I had one 2yrs ago.
My Husband is being treated for high parathyroid hormone levels due to " End Stage Renal Failure"  (kidneys have failed) The medication he is taking is called Zemplar..