Thyroid Disorders Community
Endo Never Heard Of 24 Hr Saliva Test??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Endo Never Heard Of 24 Hr Saliva Test??

Endo's office just called and my other post was getting to long..lol..so they say they never heard of 24 hr saliva test, as Stella pointed out it would be good to have adrenals checked, being that I have one kidney and still having symptoms for TT 12/09.
They said the only test they do is a Saliva test in the morning for either 2 days or 4 days?? Does that make any sense?? I need to call them back and explain, but need the forums advice, as I don't want to sound stupid.
Help!...Thank you!...Lynda
You can order 24 hr saliva tests online; check out healthcheckusa.com.  Some doctors are very reluctant to get into adrenal issues, but more of them need to.
Thank you. I found that out today while doing a little research. What is the matter with these darn doctors??? It's like they try to keep us sick so we keep paying them more money! I have insurance and I should be able to have the tests that I ask for..don't you agree? What kind of Dr specializes in adrenal issues? It just seems to me that these Endo's..at least the ones in my area, are more concerned with their diabetic patients than thyroid patients! Very frustrating on top of feeling sick.

Thanks, Barb!  
A 24 hr saliva adrenal test is not recognized by the medical community.  

It has come to my knowledge that MD's are not interested in anything that was not in their learning material in school. The rest of the world updates their skills, doctors do not.  : (

Only holistic docs and Naturopaths know anything about 24 saliva testing, even then its rare. If you know one, some will order one of these tests and review the results with you.
yep - that doesn't surprise me as I think I mentioned to you. The ACTH test is the blood lab for the adrenals that they are speaking about but it only measures a "one time" draw - usually in the morning ( when cortisol is almost always highwhich is good) and then they base everything on that one draw.

It will confirm Addisions or Cushings but not the fatigue that is associated with Adrenal Fatigue.

The 24 hour saliva panel measures the complete cycle of cortisol through the day and - pushing your endo on it may not be helpful either.

You can get an adrenal test on your own and have it ran - research your results and then speak to another doctor that practices with it to help you - in case you see issues.

As I remember saying - if we think thyroid is complicated.... you've seen nothing til we through in saliva testing for adrenals with these physicians...
I have had the 8am serum cortisol test before and my numbers were fine. I'd have to look at my records I have here for exact numbers. But, I agree, it's not a very accurate test, as it only tests levels in the morning.

You guys were right...Endo's office just called and he said he will do more "extensive" bloodwork, but will not do 24 hr saliva test. It's just odd to me that knowing I have one kidney (the other surgically removed due to cancer)...why wouldn't he want to be thorough in that testing?

Well, looks like once again..I have to kind of be my own doctor. To me, that causes anxiety all in itself.

Thank you!