Thyroid Disorders Community
Endocrinologist in Edmonton - Thyroid disorder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi. Does anyone has recommendation on an endocrinologist in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada? Is anyone seeing any endo for their thyroid problems and was satisfied with the treatment? I am seeing my family doctor but he is thinking to refer me to endo. Please let me know I can ask my doctor based on your suggestion.
For thyroid problems you don't necessarily need an Endo.  Many Endos specialize in diabetes, not thyroid issues.  Also, many Endos have the "Immaculate TSH Belief' and only use TSH to diagnose and treat.  That simply doesn't work.  Others will test beyond TSH but then revert to "Reference Range Endocrinology", by which they will tell you that a test result that falls anywhere within the reference range is adequate.  That is also frequently wrong, because the ranges were eroneously established.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief shold be all important, not just test results, and especially not just TSH results.  

You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with after initial tests and evaluation.  The letter is then sent to the participating doctor of the patient to help guide treatment.  In the letter, please note the statement, "the ultimate criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient."

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf  

I have sent a Pm with a prospective doctor for you to consider.  
Hello!  I had noticed your reply to the above, and LOVED your response!  I am currently seeking help myself.  I have just had a hemithyroidectomy done last week due to a 4cm nodule on left side.  It was discovered during surgery that I have severe scar tissue in my neck, which they have attributed to Hashimotos Thyroiditis.  I have been begging doctors for the past many years for help with my thyroid because I was HIGHLY symptomatic.  I thought my prayers would be answered when I finally got a referral to an endocrinologist. But, it was exactly the same response.  At this point, I have half a functioning thyroid in my neck, that due to normal TSH levels, they will not treat the Hashimotos. I am now on the hunt for a good doctor to help me get this condition under control.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Canada seems to be somewhat like the NHS of the UK.  Only want to test for TSH.  If tested further then only use "Reference Range Endocrinology".  Neither works, as we know.  

Since you were shown as being in Edmonton, I found on this site three potential doctors for you to consider.  Any interest here?

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/canada.htm

When I am trying to determine if a doctor is a prospect, or just a suspect, I look for indications that the doctor is willing to listen to symptoms and Test and adjust Free T3 and Free T4, as necessary to relieve symptoms.  Also a good sign is if the doctor is willing to prescibe meds with T3 in them.