Thyroid Disorders Community
Endocrinologist in Edmonton - Thyroid disorder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi. Does anyone has recommendation on an endocrinologist in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada? Is anyone seeing any endo for their thyroid problems and was satisfied with the treatment? I am seeing my family doctor but he is thinking to refer me to endo. Please let me know I can ask my doctor based on your suggestion.
For thyroid problems you don't necessarily need an Endo.  Many Endos specialize in diabetes, not thyroid issues.  Also, many Endos have the "Immaculate TSH Belief' and only use TSH to diagnose and treat.  That simply doesn't work.  Others will test beyond TSH but then revert to "Reference Range Endocrinology", by which they will tell you that a test result that falls anywhere within the reference range is adequate.  That is also frequently wrong, because the ranges were eroneously established.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief shold be all important, not just test results, and especially not just TSH results.  

You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with after initial tests and evaluation.  The letter is then sent to the participating doctor of the patient to help guide treatment.  In the letter, please note the statement, "the ultimate criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient."

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf  

I have sent a Pm with a prospective doctor for you to consider.  
Hello!  I had noticed your reply to the above, and LOVED your response!  I am currently seeking help myself.  I have just had a hemithyroidectomy done last week due to a 4cm nodule on left side.  It was discovered during surgery that I have severe scar tissue in my neck, which they have attributed to Hashimotos Thyroiditis.  I have been begging doctors for the past many years for help with my thyroid because I was HIGHLY symptomatic.  I thought my prayers would be answered when I finally got a referral to an endocrinologist. But, it was exactly the same response.  At this point, I have half a functioning thyroid in my neck, that due to normal TSH levels, they will not treat the Hashimotos. I am now on the hunt for a good doctor to help me get this condition under control.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Canada seems to be somewhat like the NHS of the UK.  Only want to test for TSH.  If tested further then only use "Reference Range Endocrinology".  Neither works, as we know.  

Since you were shown as being in Edmonton, I found on this site three potential doctors for you to consider.  Any interest here?

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/canada.htm

When I am trying to determine if a doctor is a prospect, or just a suspect, I look for indications that the doctor is willing to listen to symptoms and Test and adjust Free T3 and Free T4, as necessary to relieve symptoms.  Also a good sign is if the doctor is willing to prescibe meds with T3 in them.  
I just moved to Edmonton, Alberta. I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, however my dr seems unsupportive and unwillingly to believe my symptoms or test for anything beyond TSH.
Did you ever find a good supportive dr? I'm desperate to find help.
I hope you get an answer from asiflip.  In case you do not, I am sending a PM with info on a doctor in Edmonton.  Just click on your name and that takes you to your personal page.  Then click on messages.
can you please send me an info about who are the thyroid doctors in edmonton? pls. my email ***@****
Sending a PM with the only info I have.  Just click on your name and that takes you to your personal page.  Then click on messages.  
Any way for me to get this info? Thanks
I just sent you a PM with info.  To access, just click on your name and then on your personal page click on messages.
Can I get this info as well. My Edmonton  family doctor goes by TSH only and has put up amount taken twice in 1 year. And doesn't listen that I'm putting on weight and having trouble sleeping and getting a run down
Just sent yo a PM with info.  

To access, just click on your name and then on your personal page click on messages.
I am desperately in need of the info you have mentioned regarding a dr who does not treat the TSH as though it were hand carved by God and sent down off the mountain.
I just sent you a PM with info.  To access, just click on your name and then from your personal page, click on messages.
Please can I have doctors info as well
Hi sorry can you please give me doctors info as well my gp is kinda useless
Just sent you a PM with info.  
Can you send me the name of the doctor in previous posts
Can you please send me info on the doctor in the previously mentioned posts
Just sent you a PM with info.  To access, just click on your name and then from your personal page, click on messages.  
I need a name for a thyroid doctor here inEdmonton that listens and does not treat with just the TSH! I am running into all kinds of health issues...cardiomyopathy of the heart, bladder cancer etc, and the symptoms list is sky high for hypo...please someone I need your help!!! Send message as soon as possible please!!!!!
I just sent a PM with info.  To access, just click on your name and then from your personal page, click on messages.
Could you please PM me with the Edmonton dr's name? Thanks.
Just sent PM.
Hi, I developed Hashimoto's after quitting smoking over 7 years ago (go figure, :( ...but not unheard of, so I've learned).  Shortly after, a random visit to an out-of-town doctor clued me into the gluten connection with Hashi's. So, I've been gluten free since then.
One of the challenges has been to find a doctor in the Edmonton area that understands the auto-immune aspect vs just treating it as hypothyroidism.  A trip to a specialist at the U of A was a colossal joke, as even he only looked at my TSH and pushed Synthroid as the solution.
I would be interested to get info on other Edmonton docs, too.  Thanks. :)
I just sent you a PM with info.  To access, just click on your name, and then from your personal site, click on messages.  
Can you a send me the names of doctors in Edmonton who deal with thyroid issues? My daughter is very symptomatic and has a growth on her thyroid but her levels are within normal range.
Sending you a PM with the only info I have for Edmonton.  To access, just click on your name and then from your personal page, click on messages.  

Just because thyroid test results fall within the so-called "normal" ranges does not mean they are adequate.  The ranges are far too broad to be functional across the entire breadth for many people.  If you will post her test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report we will be glad to give you our opinion.
I've just moved to Edmonton and need to find an endo as I've had thyroid cancer and now also hypo parathyroid as a result of the surgery. I'm registering with a gp here tomorrow morning so would be great to have a good endo name to get referred. At home (Ireland)I attended a specialist endo for thyroid cancer. Any info greatly appreciated
Sending you a PM with info.  To access, just click on your name and then from your personal page, click on messages.
Hello! I'm also desperately searching for a doctor in Edmonton that does not treat based off of just the TSH. My current doctor said that the lab will not test for anything beyond TSH if it shows up within range. My TSH is within "normal" range (2.64 mu/L) but I have an ever expanding list of symptoms that I'm finding it increasingly difficult to deal with and I'm not sure what to do now! Thank you!
I just sent you a PM with info.  To access, just click on your name and then click on messages.