Endocrinologist orders only TSH & T4
I was wondering if anyone would know... Why would my endocrinologist would only order blood tests for TSH & T4 and not my T3? I just went today to have my blood drawn and the tech told me this was the order with no T3. It's been two weeks today since I've had my right lobe removed so I would think he would check all my levels. Is T3 not so important? Do patients have certain specific symptoms if their T3 levels are off? Anyone got a thought, clue or concern why I wouldn't be tested for T3?
Because it is a more expensive test, it takes longer to process, and most doctors feel it is not needed unless the other tests do not jive with each other.

They know it's important, but they assume it will show the same as your Free T4.

I haven't had a Free T3 in over a year, but I've had a Free T4 run at least eight times, maybe ten. It perturbs me, but since my levels and doses have been going up and down anyway, I can understand why it would be a waste of money to run a Free T3 every time I get my Free T4 checked.

My personal opinion is anyone on meds or who has had surgery should get a TSH and a free T4 every three months, and a Free T3 every six months. That's after they are considered stable.

Your Endo is doing a preliminary check. It doesn't surprise me that a Free T3 wasn't run.

It should be looked at from time to time though. Like...next time. You'll probably have to request it.  
Aaaaaaaaaaah ha! Well.. that makes me feel a little bit better! At least I think! LOL! I was already on meds before surgery and I have been stable for many years so hopefully losing the right lobe won't jar my levels to much and hopefully not at all. Still curious what s/s T3 levels alone being off could cause if any? Thanks! Juli
Symptoms of hypothyroidism, which the doctor often thinks you are imagining, because he/she didn't run a Free T3 along with the Free T4, and your Free T4 looks normal.

:o)

Sad, but true.

I have had TSH tests come back both 0.54 and 1.70 (at different times) with the exact same Free T4 result, 1.24 with a range of 0.58-1.64. The wild card was my Free T3, which wasn't tested.
Interesting! Good to know! I really want to educate myself more concerning what's left of my thyroid and where my levels are in the future. Thanks you've helped much!
I have read that with hypothyroidism, the free t3 is not needed- usually. A great majority of people convert enough t4 to t3.
My endo ordered my first t3 test this time because my TSH is finally low enough at 0.93.
I personally think it is a good idea to have a freet3 run when you get your TSH optimal.

I am the same as AR. My free t4 levels don't necessarily follow my ups and downs in TSH.

The free t4 changes so little, that it would take a big jump in TSH to see a big difference in the t4 level.
Thanks Kitty9309!