Thyroid Disorders Community
Enlarged Thyroid and Dysphagia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Enlarged Thyroid and Dysphagia

According to an Endocrinologist examination I was told that my thyroid is approximately twice the size of a normal thyroid.  I have noticed within the last few years that I am having trouble swallowing. This does not happen all the time or with any certain foods, however it is very frusturating.  Could this problem be due to my enlarged thyroid?
Tags: Thyroid, enlarged, food
If tese symptoms are worsening with your hands elevated to the chest level this may be the case
Yes, problems swallowing could be caused by an enlarged thyroid, I was informed that mine was 2.5 times the normal size, and has caused me swallowing problems,on and off, hoarsness, and sleep apnea. when the thyroid enlarges it puts pressure on the voice box, and restricts the airway and throat. I have had all three symptoms. Are you being seen by an Endo now, or on Medication? if not, it might be a good idea to have another exam and be treated for your condition. Good Luck FTB4
I have been to quite a few different Endo's, none within the last year, and they make me feel as though i am crazy and that my thyroid could not be causing the swallowing issues.  What kind of medication can they give for this? Is there any medication out there to shrink it? What are you doing for yours?
The only medication is thyroid medication, this could reduce the inflammation, which is why it is enlarged. You need to find out if you are Hypo or Hyper, either could cause it to enlarge, once that is determined, and  they will also do an ultrasound to see if any nodules are present,  you have been to Endo's and they tell you the thyroid is twice the size and have not diagnosed you or prescribed any medication, The Endo that diagnosed me said some times the medication will reduce the Thyroid size, and sometimes it will not ,If you have been diagnosed and are on thyroid meds, perhaps you need a dosage adjustment. If you have Hashimoto's(As in my case) or Graves, these are auto-immune diseases, your body's immune system does not recognize your thyroid, and attacks it, this causes inflammation and enlargement. If you have been diagnosed, Please post your lab results ie: Free T3 Free T4 and TSH with reference ranges provided. Then members will be able to determine your situation with thyroid. Good Luck FTB4
We are offered a health screening every year at work and the following are my results from the Thyroid test that were done.  TSH=1.3, T4=9, & T-uptake=31.  What exactly does all of this mean? Can you explain a little?
Those tests aren't really very useful. Your TSH is normal, though, so that doesn't indicate a problem.  What matters is whether or not the T4 test is for total or free, and what the reference range is.  Total T4 is considered obsolete and of little value.  If your lab report doesn't specify Free T4, then your test is most likely total.  T-uptake is also of little value.

As FTB4 said, thyroid can cause swallowing problems, but many doctors tell us that's not the cause.  

You should go to your doctor and get the tests that FTB4 mentioned: TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and antibody tests.  An ultra sound will confirm if your thyroid is actually enlarged and will tell if you have nodules.