Thyroid Disorders Community
Enlarged thyroid and "chills."

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Enlarged thyroid and "chills."

I have a very strong family history of hypothyroidism as well as a grandmother that often had postpartum thyroiditis.  I am also an insulin dependent diabetic but type is unknown and I'm 20 weeks pregnant.

My endo told me at my last appointment that my thyroid was enlarged and we'd have to keep watch but because my last test (I think just TSH, but I'm not sure) was normal that it wasn't an issue now.  The test was done probably about two months before the appointment, though.

That was a week and a half ago.  Tonight and one other night earlier this week I couldn't sleep due to "chills."  I put that in quotes because I don't feel cold (nor hot) when I get them but my body reacts the same way.  It's kind of like when you get the quick chill where people say that somebody just walked over your grave.

Before they happen I can almost feel them creeping up but I don't quite know how to describe it.  It's just sort of an electricity in my body or something.  If I move around purposefully it keeps the chill from happening but if I try to lay still that electricity feeling builds until I shiver involuntarily.  After the chill the electricity seems to start over again, building to another chill unless I start moving.  Sometimes it seems like I can prolong it if I try hard enough but then that feeling of electricity gets too strong.

Should this be something I contact my endo about and have tests repeated over?  I also get migraines and was at first thinking that it could be some kind of neurological symptom related to silent migraines.  The first time it happened I thought maybe it could be a new symptom of low blood sugar but I tested and wasn't low (and this time I'm running high) so it's not that.

Basically I wanted to know if the chill symptoms that come with thyroid disorders can mean what I'm describing or if they refer to cold chills.

Thanks!
Yes, the chills or cold feeling could be related to your thyroid. Are you having any other symptoms? You should ask your endo to do more blood tests to see where your levels are. Just getting TSH tested is'nt enough. There are alot more people here that know much more than I do about the thyroid but I would ask for Free T3, Free T4, TSH, and antibodies. I hope this helps and I hope you find out what's going on. Take care. Remar