Thyroid Disorders Community
Eutroxsig

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Eutroxsig

Is anyone else taking Eutroxsig?  Are you happy with this medication?

I have been having Eutroxsig for a couple of months and my symptoms are improving.  However so many people say they are better on natural hormone replacement because it adds T3 - hope I am getting this right - and I really do not know what my normal self is any more. I believe I have been having undiagnosed thyroid problems for most of my life which have gradually become worse with age.

My TSH is 4.11 when I have been on 50mcg of Eutroxsig and I am now taking 100 mcg.

My free T4 is normal 18.3.  

I was refused a Free T3 test.

I have had terrible hypothyroid symptoms - sleeping 18 hrs- no memory- brain fog - breathless when walking to the gate - cold legs - My iron levels were also low.

Thanks for reading.
Hey!
Yeah, I'm on Eutroxsig, and am rather happy with how the med is helping me.  I'm on a split dosage at the moment; 75mcg 3 days of the week and 62.5mcg the other 4 days

Some people (like me) do fine on the T4 med and don't need to add any T3...but others don't convert to T3 well and need the added support of a T3 med.  It's really dependant on how well your body is converting T4 into T3.

Why were you refused a FT3 test???  You're the patient...your doctor should be working with you on this.  What's the reference range for the FT4 test???
The FT3 test wasn't covered under Medicare (aussie) our health care system - which is very good most of the time.

The FT4 range is 11.5-22.7 so my reading of 18.3 seems very good to me - a non professional.

Thanks for your assessment of Eutroxsig - I have been improving on it and if this keeps going I am reluctant to change and mess-up a good thing.

The biggest concern I think I will have at the end of all this is to get my weight down because over the years it has ballooned and has been too hard to keep in check - this I hate.  That's one of my queries for changing to natural thyroxine (hormone).

I'm an aussie and my FT3 test is covered by medicare!  I get FT3 done all the time.  I wonder why it's not covered for you.  

I would be reluctant to change anything...if you're improving just keep going how you are now!!
My doc would have to fill in an approval and he did not.  Probably because my first test was in the normal range.  It wasn't until I was on 50mcg that my test result went out of the norm - very strange.

Thanks for your reply.
Hi I am an Aussie as well,and can tell you it has nothing to do with Medicare getting the FT 3 test done. It is more the lab not able to do it, or your doctor not willing to request it. It IS covered by Medicare. I think your doc is putting you off, or is uneducated. There are only few tests not covered by Medicare and those are unusual circumstance ones.

Also Eutroxsig is an Aussie branded thyroxine T4 only medication. Made by Sigma here in Melbourne where I am! They make the generic Oroxine as well, (which is the same tablet only labelled differently!!!) It is not known outside of Australia. The closest to Eutroxsig would be Synthroid.
Cheers
Thanks for the info.  Looking harder at my info it sounds like the lab can't do it.

When my FT 4 is within the normal range would it be likely that my FT 3s would be out of range?  I am looking at having my grandson tested should I try another lab?  He is 11yrs old.

Ta.
Some of the older laboratories or more regional ones can't do the FT3 test, they just don't have the machine!
  Your FT3 should be in range if your FT4 is in range. If it isn't, and depending on how much out of range it is, you might need a T3 supplement. However!!!! That is only needed if you are having symptoms! No point giving it if you feel fine!

Yes, probably a good idea to ask the doctor to use a different pathology lab. If you get them to cross out the name of the one they regularly use and put a different one, get them to stamp it with their provider number etc, and the different pathology will accept it. I sometimes see an endo who doesn't use Gribbles (Healthscope) but only Melbourne Pathology, and we don't have M.P here in Healesville, so he does as I suggested and Gribbles accept it.

Cheers
I have been on this for nearly 2yrs and improved so quickly and have stayed stable for the 2yrs.
I do find when I am highly stressed I feel like ot slips but when tested.... it says its fine...
I have also decided to see a naturopath she has been a massive help and hope to work on natual ways to help my hashimotos.
Id also suggest a change in diet, I read somewhere that gluten is linked with thyroid-hashimotos. Moving to a gluten free "lifestyle" change could help. We are in the process of changing our lifestyle.  So far so good. And trying to increase my exercise as I felt like I lost a bit before i was diagnosed.
Good luck.
(Sorry I lot track of my yrs .... it will be 4urs this yr)
I know it was posted over a yr n half ago.
Hi, I have been on Oroxine since 1970, was 1 year old and my. Thyroid does not work at all. The generic drug is eutroxsig. Oroxine by sigma came first. I am also on the T3 drug. But only since I went to an endocrinologist. GP's are reluctant to put you onto T3 drugs. But to tell you the truth if you are only under active you really don't require it. The drug above should be doing its job. My friend has recently had radiation therapy for her hyperthyroidism and now has no thyroid function. She too was told by endo no need for T3. She was told that when a child is born with congenital hypothyroidism and reaches adulthood the T 3 drug is necessary and these are the cases that get the extra drug. I have to order that drug in especially...