Thyroid Disorders Community
Evening primrose oil.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Evening primrose oil.

Have any of you had any positive experience with treating your thyroid symptoms with only evening primrose oil?

Especially you who have lab results within their ranges but hypo symptoms.

I'm within the range with the TSH, FT3 and FT4, at least I was last April, but I have all the debilitating symptoms of hypo. And terrible hair loss. I've read that this supplement can be beneficial in treating these symptoms.

I just started with taking 1-2 tablespoons daily of coconut oil.

Is there any chance the EPO can make the hair loss worse? Or other hypo symptoms? Or is it pretty harmless? How much do you take a day?

I just want to try to kickstart my thyroid out of the rut it seems to have ended up in. My TSH is ( was back in April) 1.1 and my FT4 is 3% within the range and the FT3 is at 44%.

Thank you for reading.
"Evening primrose oil is the oil from the seed of the evening primrose plant. Evening primrose oil is used for skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne. It is also used for rheumatoid arthritis, weak bones (osteoporosis), Raynaud’s syndrome, multiple sclerosis (MS), Sjogren’s syndrome, cancer, high cholesterol, heart disease, a movement disorder in children called dyspraxia, leg pain due to blocked blood vessels (intermittent claudication), alcoholism, Alzheimer’s disease, and schizophrenia.

Some people use evening primrose oil for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS); asthma; nerve damage related to diabetes; an itching disorder called neurodermatitis; hyperactivity in children and attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD); obesity and weight loss; whooping cough; and gastrointestinal disorders including ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, and peptic ulcer disease.

Women use evening primrose oil in pregnancy for preventing high blood pressure (pre-eclampsia), shortening labor, starting labor, and preventing late deliveries. Women also use evening primrose oil for premenstrual syndrome (PMS), breast pain, endometriosis, and symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes.

In foods, evening primrose oil is used as a dietary source of essential fatty acids.

In manufacturing, evening primrose oil is used in soaps and cosmetics.

In Britain, evening primrose oil used to be approved for treating eczema and breast pain. However, the Medicines Control Agency (MCA), the British equivalent of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), withdrew the licenses for evening primrose oil products marketed as prescription drug products for these uses. The licenses were withdrawn because the agency concluded that there is not enough evidence that they are effective. The manufacturer disagrees, but it hasn’t published studies yet to prove the effectiveness of evening primrose for these uses."

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1006.html

This article goes on to say that it may not be safe with certain medicines and/or under certain circumstances.  

Here's another good site: http:
//www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/evening-primrose-oil-uses-and-risks

All of that said, I've heard of people using evening primrose for a variety of things, but never for thyroid issues.  The only that resolve low thyroid levels, is thyroid hormone replacement.

Labs taken in April will be obsolete now; you should try to get another set and see if things have changed.  Were you tested for Hashimoto's?  With Hashimoto's, it's very common for symptoms to appear long before thyroid hormone levels indicate a problem.  You can ask for thyroid antibody tests - Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TgAB). You need them both for accurate diagnosis.
Hi and thank you for answering!

I went to a private lab in my state that doesnt require a doctors referral, since I don't have any medical insurance at the moment. Thought I could save some money. Since the results were within their ranges, I didn't bother going to a doctor, but now I realize that one can be hypothyroid anyways. My symptoms are getting worse as well.

Yes, I will drive down to the same lab ( very reasonable priced) tomorrow morning. I will most likely add ferritin, B12, vit D and perhaps adrenal ( cortisol?) labs too. My symptoms sounds like, after reading up on it, like it could just as well be some problems with my adrenal glands. I've had a unbelievable stressful time ever since before my hysterectomy over a year ago, where I was told it might be cancer. I haven't recovered from that yet today. That, and the money issue of expensive doctors, have led me to avoid doctors at all costs. But now I'm so desperate I will just force myself to make an appointment. Prefferrable with a holistic doctor.

I will bring my lab reports and the body temperatures I just started to record. They're very very low, which is yet another sign something's wrong with my body. But my worst symptom is the hair loss. I've never been so unhappy about anything else my whole life. This is something I truly don't wish for even my worst enemy...
Good idea to get new labs; make sure you get FT3, FT4 and the TSH.  Would be okay to get vitamin B12, D and Ferritin.  Since you don't have insurance, I'm not sure I'd do the cortisol, because a single blood cortisol isn't very useful.  

Cortisol rises and falls throughout the day, according to your circadian rhythm, so it has to be tested at various times throughout the day to see if it is, in fact, rising and falling properly.  A 24 saliva test is, usually, better for that.

Instead of the cortisol, you might want to look into antibody testing to determine whether or not you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  As I noted above, with Hashimoto's, symptoms can appear long before actual thyroid hormone levels indicate an issue.  I don't know how expensive the antibody tests are, but it would probably be worthwhile.  If you could go to the doctor and hand over a lab report (copy - don't let go of the original) showing Hashimoto's, along with a list of your symptoms, you might get his/her attention.
Hi Barb135 and thanks again so much for your feedback! Yea, I might just hold off from the cortisol lab test for now. Maybe do that 24 hr saliva test later if my thyroid panel comes back weird. And yes, antibody testing is a good idea, I think this lab is an extra 70 dollar or so for that. It's worth every penny at this aweful stage in my life. Maybe I'll do that instead of the vitamin and ferretin labs, which I'm sure will get better if my thyroid gets fixed. IF it even is my thyroid!

Sometimes I'm wondering if I'm just applying all my symptoms on the thyroid after reading about it, because I'm so desperate and really wanting a reason to blame on and to be able to fix.

I'm about to go and sleep now, with my thermometer next to me! :)
At this point, you might be safe in waiting with the Ferritin and vitamin D tests, but I'd go ahead with the B12 because deficiency can cause a horrible fatigue that's far worse than thyroid fatigue (at least it was for me), plus if left untreated, can leave permanent nerve damage, which is what I'm going through right now.  I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
"Sometimes I'm wondering if I'm just applying all my symptoms on the thyroid after reading about it, because I'm so desperate and really wanting a reason to blame on and to be able to fix."  Unfortunately, we have to be careful with "Dr Google", because he can "diagnose" a lot of different things... lol  

Once you have those antibody and new thyroid tests in hand, you'll have a much better idea of what might be going on.