Thyroid Disorders Community
Extreamly Low TSH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Extreamly Low TSH

First and foremost, thank you for having this resource!  

I went to my family doc recently to do my yearly physical and we did a CBC.  My THS came back radically low so he ordered more labs to check Free T4 & T3 total.

Results:
TSH: <0.02 [0.46-4.68]
FREE T4 0.52 [0.64-1.92]
T3, Total 85 [60-182]

I do have some symptoms of hypo, I have a hard time not falling asleep doing the day and once my morning workout is over, I'm beat!

The nurse on the phone said I was hypo, come in to get a scrip and orders to do an ultrasound.   I filled the script, took a pill and went home.  After looking at the meds subscribed and doing some online research, I think there was an error.  Propylthiouracl 500mg/tab.  That's an anti-thyroid med. I have not taken another pill since the first day.  I confirmed with the doc that he gave me the right med and he said I'm hyper.  He's going to talk with an endo and see what the results the u/s (those results will be back later today or Monday).   After all my research, and feel like I do have secondary-hypo and have to ask, do I have secondary hypo (a pituitary gland problem which has me very scared) and what other tests should I request? I don't feel the family doc did enough research before starting treatment.  I'm in shock and scared without an outlet for more face to face info right now.  HELP!?!?

Thank you,

Dawn
The rest of my subject line is missing.  

It did say  "and low Free T4"

Thanks,

Dawn
Just a few thoughts here on a few things that your levels could relate to:

In some cases people will go through a hyper or hypo stage before levels reflect true nature of the thyroid problem, especially in autoimmune.

Have your adrenals checked? Often adrenal problem is confused with hypothyroidism because of low T4 and T3. Some doctors mistakenly interpret the low TSH here to mean pituitary trouble.

Other problems such as Allergies, hormonal imbalance, yeast, etc could be another possible problem reflecting in your  levels.

Pituitary thyroid deficiency (Secondary hypothyroidism) which is treated with thyroid hormone meds., or caused by recent withdrawal of thyroxine after excessive replacement therapy

Sleep problems are both hypo and hyper symptoms. In secondary hypothyroidism side effects are  hyperthyroidism.   Do have any more symptoms othe than that of sleep?

I wait to see how the meds will effect your levels, and/or

You can have the following test:  cholesterol levels,  liver enzymes,  serum prolactin,  serum sodium,  blood glucose,  CBC for anemia,  other pituitary hormones , and Imaging such as an MRI of the pituitary to look for a tumor.

Good Luck!