Thyroid Disorders Community
Extremely sick, need help, Hives, high calcium, low TSH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Ive been sick ever since I took an antibiotic. I only took one. Ive been breaking out in hives.

I took prednisone for them but they came back.

My doctor recently prescribed me 20mg prednisone 2 times a day. I took one dose and about 5-6 hours I felt like I was going through withdrawl (withdrawal).

I was extremely extremely sick.

I also have a low TSH and blood calcium of 10.5.

I feel so sick right now. Ive been taking 5mg of prednisone by breaking the tablets but its not helping at all, i mean its helping the hives,  but I feel short of breath, dizzy, confused, light headed, tired, weak ect.. Why am I going through prednisone withdrawl (withdrawal) after taking 1 20mg dose?

I think I might go to the ER.
All my other thyroid, kidney functions ect.... were normal.

T4, T3, DHEA, Cortisol, Testosterone were all normal
When did you take the antibiotic? Answer ASAP.~MM
Also, what was the antibiotic and do you have allergies to anything?~MM
back the end of october, it was bactrim, I didnt before I took it, now im allergic to anything with casein in it or gluten in it.

I break out in hives no matter what I eat or dont eat though
An antibiotic robs you of nutrients. You should always take vitamins with it. As to your hives, usually they are a symptom of allergy. Have you been tested for allergies? Prednisone is bad news. Be very careful with it. Are you being treated for your thyroid problem? The short of breath business might be asthma, brought on by allergy. The dizzinesss, confusion, weakness could be hypoglycemia.

Often hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia and adrenal malfunction are connected. I would see an endocrynologist. And I would see an allergist too.

This happened to me 2 years ago. Not this bad but i was broke out in hives for 1 1/2 years. I got allergy tested it came back negative for everything.

I got rid of it by taking colloidal silver and Oxy Aloe Flush (you can google it) im sure any doctors here will say im crazy or somthing but i know what happened.

It happened back 2 years ago after taking 1 antibiotic also, it was amoxacillan.

My blood sugar is 170 it was 190 so im not hypoglycemic. My adrenals all came back ok in blood tests.

My doctor left her office today before I could get the results of my vitamin d and calcium.

I plan on calling monday and telling her I need an appointment with an endocrinologist.

She told me to take wellbutrin for my anxiety and depression (im not depressed anymore im just very sick). I never took it and dont plan on it because Im already too sick.

When I took the 20mg prednisone I felt great, until 6 - 8 hours later I felt like I was dieing so it has to be prednisone withdrawl (withdrawal) i just dont know why it happened after 1 dose.
This is probably not related, but in the last six months I've been having extreme panic attacks and shortness of breath.  I also have become allergic to everything including gluten and corn (I have never had this before).  Everything I eat seems to bring on heart racing and panic attacks other than a few select foods.  I just found out my calcium level is also high.  I get dizzy and lightheaded all the time too.  Yours could be from the prednisone though, but I have similar symptoms just from my plain old messed up hashimotos and whatever else they haven't found yet.  Good luck.
It was prednisone and inhaled steroids (for emphysema) that gave me adrenal fatigue. Adrenal fatigue with high cortisol in the early stages causes anxiety and panic attacks. Since high cortisol depletes vitamin B5, high dosages of that vitamin help enormously. I take that and ashwagandha (Indian ginseng) which normalizes cortisol.
I dont have high cortisol, all my adrenal hormones are normal...
calcium, both blood and ionized came back normal

blood was 9.8 ionized was 1.2